2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dodge Dakota not starting help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Enemybritbomber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Dakota not starting help please!!

My dodge dakota is not starting. The motor turns over but will not fire. It is a 4.7 with individual coil packs on each spark plug. Also the gauges are non-responsive. No fuel and no spark. Gauge test/reading brings up a 920, 921, 999 code on the odometer. Also says "no bus" on the odometer. check a few places and was told to try the crankshaft sensor, no luck, checked the input voltage to the crankshaft sensor and its still 5 volts. Input voltage to the camshaft sensor is 5 volts, tried with camshaft sensor unplugged no luck. PCM is receiving 12 volts positive from ignition. Switched engine relay with blower relay, no luck either. Looked for an Auto shutdown relay cant find one at all. Can anyone shed any light on what to do next. What to test next, how to test it?? Cause i'd rather not go straight for a PCM and then have to pay the dealer to get it programmed with the vehicle vin and odometer. Would anything happen if i didnt get the new PCM programmed?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 AM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to here http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...cle-pdf-39.pdf
it's the shift solenoid.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 AM
Enemybritbomber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply, but i don't think you quite read my OP correctly, i didn't say OBD codes are ****, i said codes on the odometer. Completely different thing. If codes on the odometer has you confused then you have less information than i do...

Old 08-10-2011, 11:48 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm personally not a big fan of that "no bus" message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default go to a shop but fix at home

Can you get it to a shop most will test for free then on their recommendation go from their fix what they say needs done THAT DOSNT MEAN THATS THE PROBLEM but it’s a start shops are just as clueless about things as you but it’s a second opinion.

Can you bypass the individual coil packs on each spark plug they may be a start to understanding whats up bring the car back to stock I have never been a fan of performance ad on parts they can cause problems at later dates. If these are stock then forget what I said

Were you changing anything in recent weeks on the truck installed something new?

Can you crank it with a sparkplug out and see if its sparking, spray carb cleaner in the air intake with filter removed as its cranking to see if you get something out of it?

Just do some of the basic system checks.

I found this Coil Pack Testing Tips and Techniques
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/coil_...oil_pack_1.php

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-10-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Dakota not starting help please!!