2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

buying a 2002??? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Carange
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question buying a 2002??? HELP

Hi everyone
Im new to the site. I was looking at a 2002 quad cab Dakota 4X4 with the 4.7 v8 with 161000 miles/260000 km's
I wanted to know if there is any big problems with them or what I should look for in it?
If anyone could help that would be nice.
Thanks to everyone

Old 08-05-2011, 06:06 AM
tommyis3
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased the same vehicle myself, I did a bit of reading before I purchased my vehicle, I found there are a couple if things to watch for, which are easy checks.

1) Intermidiate stering shaft, if you feel any clunks or clicks in the steering, check the shaft, could also be a couple of other issues like ball joints, but the shaft is a likely cause.
2)Suspension noise, Front ball joints can wear prematurely forcing relacement of lower control arm as well. Replacement joint with grease fitting is now available.
3) Plenum gasket, check down the throttle body with a flashlight. if you see oil then it probably needs a new plenum gasket.

Give the truck a real good test drive, Highway and normal driving, then the usual checks, such as:

Transmission: Shifting ok.
Rotors warped: Vibration in steering under braking.
Enginge sound: Missfiring / Idling / knocking.
Body damage: All panels aligning ok.
Test drive the truck: Overheating, oil pressure etc.
Tyres: Tread depth, weather cracks.

I`m sure there is someone on this forum that is more knowledgeable than me that will give you some more info, but that’s a start.

Hope it works out for ya..

Last edited by tommyis3; 08-05-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Quick Reply: buying a 2002??? HELP