2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Upper ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:23 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink What helped me the most was

I rented a pair of 6 Ton jack stands yes 6 Ton and used a 3 ton quality floor jack to do the job the jack stands were amazing just loved the big chunky things I didnt worry about my truck falling on me.

It was still a bit scarry jacking the bottom control arm back into place to get the nuckel back into the ball joints it was lifting the truck off the 6 Ton jack stand it freaked me to know my truck was floating in the air as I was installing the nuckel onto the ball joints.

I was so glad I had the 6 Ton jack stands these things were twice the size of regular floor jack stands solid as a ROCK. Only $10 a day at True Value Hardware.

Safty always think safty.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-13-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:25 PM
00daksport25
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have the 2.5 with a manual trans.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:45 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Exclamation I did the whole job by myself

I did the whole job by myself in one day it’s a bit scary by yourself be very cautious as I was jacking the lower control arm up to get the knuckle back on and my truck was off the jack stand I was worried so I grabbed my cell and kept it in my pocket for 911 I was by myself it makes you be over cautious and rethink every step three times over before you do it.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:17 AM
THE D1SC1PLE

Please forgive me if everyone either already knows this or has already had the work done...but I found a recall on the upper ball joints and the dealer just completed the work with no problems. I have a 2001 and just had the work done this year. I dont have the campaign number, but I went to dodges website and entered my vin into the recall search.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default Time limit on recalls

That was a long time ago sorry that will not get you anything now.

It was only on specific models and years and you may never have a problem my 98 Dakota never had any problem till this year and 12 years is a good life for ball joints.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:48 PM
THE D1SC1PLE

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
That was a long time ago sorry that will not get you anything now.

It was only on specific models and years and you may never have a problem my 98 Dakota never had any problem till this year and 12 years is a good life for ball joints.
While you are right about it only being for certain models or model years the recalls do not expire, Dodge honored mine some 10 years later. So it definitely does not hurt to take the five minutes and run your vin, because it sure got me something I wasnt expecting. 12 years is a good life for ball joints though.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:13 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up Thats great I didnt know!

My Mom's Honda distributor crapped out and they wouldn’t replace it for her said too bad the recall expired it was on a recall for bad distributors at $800 for a new distributor I was very pissed off.

Maybe each state has different expiration laws we were in California at that time and a California car.

So either Honda dirt bagged us or each state is different regarding recalls.

Nice to see Dodge doing something others don’t do.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-28-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:46 PM
THE D1SC1PLE

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
My Mom's Honda distributor crapped out and they wouldn’t replace it for her said too bad the recall expired it was on a recall for bad distributors at $800 for a new distributor I was very pissed off.

Maybe each state has different expiration laws we were in California at that time and a California car.

So either Honda dirt bagged us or each state is different regarding recalls.

Nice to see Dodge doing something others don’t do.
Could very well be with each manufacturer. I used to work for BMW/VW (in the parts dept) in Santa Maria, CA before moving out here to TX last year and I know there policy was the same as far as no experations. I was told it was a liability...too many reasons as to why customers wouldnt get notification of a recall (ie change of address, etc.). 98DAKAZ your probably correct in that checking on a recall that old is futile but I was pleasantly surprised! Dodge has done a pretty good job (in my 1 and only expierence with them) with customer service, however I was a little turned off when the Dodge rep told me that one of the criteria they use when it comes to warranting tires (I had just bought and expensive set before finding out about my ball joint recall) is looking at how many vehicles you've bought from Dodge!

Last edited by THE D1SC1PLE; 08-28-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default Im not saying dont try

I’m not saying don’t try it’s just my experience is they will not honor it at least Honda didn’t with my Mom's car.

Honda just flat out would not fix it as a recall even though it was a recalled defective part they said it was past the recall date/period they can accept the car for that recall.

I think that the Dealership was full of S^%&$iT if you know what I mean.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-28-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Upper ball joints