2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bed liner and bed tarp for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005 | 08:58 PM
DAK4X4
Default Bed liner and bed tarp for the winter

I just bought my 04 Dakota and it had no bedliner nor tarp (tanneau) for the winter. I was wondering if you guys knew some good one's to look into. My Dodge dealership where I bought my truck wanted 315 for the Dodge brand fitted bed liner, and I've sene some good tarps for about 150-200. Anyone have any other suggestions, is the dealership trying to hose me?

Old 07-18-2005 | 07:20 PM
Spear_em
Default RE: Bed liner and bed tarp for the winter

Your best bet is to go to www.jcwhitney.com or if you have a quad cab go to your local Dodge dealer.

Old 07-18-2005 | 11:41 PM
jimtriz

I have an 04 Quad cab Dakota that I bought this past Feb. I too wanted a liner for it due to the extreme winters here in New England lately. I finally opted for a Line-X spray on liner. I gotta tell ya it's the best decision I could have made. The durability and looks can't be beat. I cost just under $500 installed. A little pricey upfront, but well worth the money in the long run. And the lifetime warranty is good too!!

Old 07-19-2005 | 12:14 AM
DAK4X4

Yeah... i did a Google search from Line-X awhile ago in the Akron, Ohio area (where I live) I found a dealer, gave him a call and got a quote for about 450 bucks. I then gave my Dodge Dealership a call and they said spray in bed liners arn't as good as the fit-in one's. The tech i talked to said spray in bedliners have less protection per square inch of impact. Meaning mor chance of damage with a heavy load. And that is a **** load of money compared to the 300 dollar Dodge Brand fit in liner from the dealership. Thanks a lot guys.

Old 07-19-2005 | 07:03 PM
Plum00

Our 00 evidently had a drop-in bed liner before we bought the truck used. You could see lots of chafing and some rusty areas where the drop-in liner wore through the paint.

We got a Line-X spray-in liner almost two years ago. The truck sits outside and its stood up well to the weather. We've carried logs, rocks, furniture, engine parts. No damage, you can hardly tell it's been used. Excellent job, no complaints, worth the money.

Old 07-21-2005 | 03:16 AM
TexasNative
Professional

ALWAYS GO WITH THE SPRAY IN LINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a place down here that will color match it, and for a litle more they will even put the dodge logo in it. Face it the dealer is trying to get your money for an inferior product however, the tonneau cover will halp a little as far as mileage.

Old 07-21-2005 | 05:21 PM
Megashifter
Professional

Tarp? They're called tonneau covers. Do a Google search 'n go shopping. Cloth ones are cheaper... and the pop-up cloth one's are nice. Mine is 'glas 'n around $1300. The plastic Dodge liner is a POS. If ya don't want'a spend the $$ for a spray on (Rhino/Line-X) get a Pace Edwards Bedrug. Google that too. I have Line-X over the rail (just above the tonneau) covered with a Bedrug for the best of both worlds.

Old 07-21-2005 | 09:32 PM
DAK4X4

thanks for all the insight guys...gotta do some more research

Old 09-12-2007 | 12:06 PM
HemiDen
Rookie

Dak, which one did you end up going with, if you decided yet?

Old 09-12-2007 | 12:17 PM
dapirate559
Professional

i would go with the linex. i have it in my bed and i havent had any problems yet. its pricey like everybody is saying but well worht the money and if it chips or anything they take care of it for free. it looks really good on a white truck eg. my truck. i will post some pictures when i get home from work if you need some examples. the bedrug is another way to go but if you do that get a tonneau cover or a camper shell for it so then the bedrug lasts longer.

Quick Reply: Bed liner and bed tarp for the winter