2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Some info for 2.5L engine Dakota trucks no PVC system

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation Some info for 2.5L engine Dakota trucks no PVC system

I have smelled gas in my oil the last few oil changes but didn’t know why other than blow by from pistons or valves then yesterday I noticed looking down my oil cap I was getting a heavy coat of brown tar on everything that is not normal for my truck.

I knew something was wrong so I started sleuthing around my engine and found the problem in the 2.5L engines there is no PVC system in place it has something like the PVC but very simple it’s called a CCV tube it’s just a simple tube no valves in it.

Well my CCV tube was plugged up it turns out the CCV tube sucks crankcase gas fumes and moisture out of your crankcase.

If plugged up no gas fumes will be removed from the crankcase and no fresh air is being circulated within the crankcase allowing tar to build up and moisture to build up inside the crankcase.

Oh and there is no way to know this is happened it’s not connected to any detection system to alert you to the problem like a problem code on the dash.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink she runs better also

My 98 Dakota now idles lower and runs smother with more takeoff from a stop hesitation is not as bad.

The Gas smell from my crankcase is gone

Quick Reply: Some info for 2.5L engine Dakota trucks no PVC system