2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Flasher relay buzzing after an long drive at night.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:46 PM
jststrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flasher relay buzzing after an long drive at night.

This is a 2004 Dodge Dakota quad cab 4x4. Well this problem started about 2 months ago but was intermittent. I would drive home at night from the shore and just as i would get close to home the flasher relay would start to buzz. It stopped after a few minutes and i did not think anything of it. it happened again right at around the same point of coming home on the next trip and a third time again at around the same point. I a mssuming maybe heating up.

The flasher relay would buzz and the left turn signal would flash dimly. When I would push the flasher button down the flashers would come on and the buzzing would stop. When i put a turn signal on the buzzing would stop but both lights would be on. the last time I would leave the left turn signal on and the buzzing would stop and there would only be the left turn signal on Put the right one on and both would come on but the buzzing would stop.

well I got in my car on monday morning and I smelled burnt plastic. I pulled the relay and it smelled burnt. Checked the wires coming out of the plug they looked good. I ordered a relay56049114AC the dealership got me 56049114AA. I noticed The 56049114AC is the upgraded part number for 03 and 04s and retro. When I installed the one ending in aa no flashers and only right turn signal. I put the old burnt one back and i got flashers back.
The part gut told me they are the same and there is something else wrong.

I disagreed with him. We ordered another flasher relay waiting for that to come in and to try that. Anyone have any suggestions?

I also tow with this vehicle but i believe since the truck has a factory tow package it should be fine.

Last edited by jststrd; 08-25-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: wording might have been confusing.

Quick Reply: Flasher relay buzzing after an long drive at night.