2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Problem?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Futbolplayer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem?!?

I have a 2003 Dakota 4.7l 2wd with 114k miles. I am having an issue with my trans, 45RFE. Whenever I am driving and I rev the engine there is some weird noise coming from right below the accelerator pedal, which is right around the transmission area. It sounds like something is not linking up right and/or maybe slipping.

From what I can feel there is no performance decrease.

The transmission is shifting fine even when I acclerate hard and let it hard shift. The transmission is up to capacity, the filter and fluid are changed every summer.

Also, when I speed up on the highway, the noise is barely noticeable cuz of the highway noise. Whenever I shift it into neutral the sound goes away soo it has to be the transmission, the torque converter, and/or some linkage somewhere.

I need help with this cuz I really can't afford to replace the transmission on a college student budget?!? I am hoping there is a quick fix?!?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i have a noise like that and its tan exhaust leek. so check it out.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Futbolplayer

hmm I will def check that out, but why would it make a weird linking problem sound?!?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

take a video of it.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Futbolplayer

Hmm somebody did suggest that it might be an exhaust leak from the manifold but I can't see to find where it might be coming from...the only way I can think of figuring it out is to take the whole exhaust manifold off and see if it is warped.

It's kinda a grinding/knocking sounds, really hard to describe, I am going to take a video of it this weekend. I am to to have to get a friend to hold a camera and somehow get close to the trans to record the noise lol

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem?!?