2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rebuilding Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 01:48 PM
vimnjicki
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Fuel pump?

First off, thank you all for helping me to diagnose my faulty fuel pump. It is, indeed, the fuel pump that went bad. Got it out of the truck (after removing the bed), got the manufacturer part number (Carter P74739M), and found replacements online for as little as $103 (Replacement price). My question is has anyone disassembled this fuel pump to replace the pump itself rather than the entire assembly? The actual pump replacement is only around $65 with the wire harness and fuel sock. What do y'all think? Is it too much of a hassle or technically impractical to disassemble it or will I just break it in the process and have to buy the whole thing anyway? Thanks

Old 10-02-2011, 08:36 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i would put a good pump in it. just dont let the fuel get below 1/2 tank. AND use "marvel mystery oil". check out "Bob is the oil guy". they have more experts than you can shack a stick at.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Something I have learned as of late

Yes don’t let your gas tank get too low it puts stress on the fuel pump especially our old Dakotas it can kill the pump.

And I just started the "marvel mystery oil" myself this week to keep my pump happy and lube the heads that are in need of R/R I’m planning a valve job/head job soon this will be my first head rebuild cant wait.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by moe7404
i would put a good pump in it. just dont let the fuel get below 1/2 tank. AND use "marvel mystery oil". check out "Bob is the oil guy". they have more experts than you can shack a stick at.
+1 on this.

As much trouble as it is to either drop the tank to remove the bed to get the fuel pump out and reinstalled again, it makes much more sense to do the job only once and not have to remove it again later to replace the filter, sock, fuel level sending unit or any combination of the three. I had to R&R a fuel pump once on a Dodge Caravan and replace only the sock and sending unit. It was a royal pain and a job I would not want to ever do again. I hate working with gasoline.

Maybe try the Advance Auto Parts web site, use Google to locate some of their online purchase discount promo codes and see if you can save money on the new fuel pump. www.retailmenot.com always has a good list of Advance discount codes. I bought my fuel pump that way, list price on it was about $220.00, I used an online purchase discount code and paid $180.00 for the pump, picked it up in the store later that same day. They had to order it in from the Orlando warehouse and even called me to let me know when they had received it at the store.

MMO can help with the (new) fuel pump. I have been using MMO for the last 2 years, and have gotten great results from it. There is a lot of info on it in the Fuel Additive Forum on www.bobistheoilguy.com. You can use their search function, it is not too good or you can search by using mmo site:bobistheoilguy.com or marvel mystery oil site:bobistheoilguy.com. Just be prepared to read a lot there, there are a lot of posts on it, including a lot of my own. You can check out the forum at www.marvelmysteryoil.com too.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 10-02-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 AM
vimnjicki
Professional

Thanks for all the replies but esp for yours, Jimmy. You helped clarify the solution. So what's with the MMO? Okay, nevermind. I'll check out Bob's info and then come back and ask questions. Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 AM
vimnjicki
Professional

...and oh yeah, I did find that carter unit for about $180. Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 PM
BEEFoley

Yeah I am about to replace my fuel pump as well. my fuel pressure regulator holds absolutly no pressure, with the fuel pressure gauge i primed it and it took 2 times to reach around 50 and fell back 2 0 in literaly 1 second or less, been driving it like that for like 1 and a half years now,

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Fuel pump?