2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power Locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:22 AM
tbeck1985
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Locks

For some reason whenever I hit the passengers door makes a high pitch sound and doesn't unlock. But it won't let me unlock it manually unless I hit the button first. Any ideas on what might be causing that?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 AM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my kids laugh when my rear pass door does that. mine will squeel when it locks or unlocks. dont know why, but i will be watching this thread.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:36 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's probably a bad door lock actuator. The actuator is part of the door latch assembly, and Dodge does not sell the actuator by itself. They want you to replace the entire latch assembly as a unit.

You might try unplugging the actuator so you can still operate the door lock manually. You can also wire in an aftermarket actuator and connect it to either the door lock rod or the better way would be to remove or cut the rod off of the OE actuator and connect the aftermarket actuator to the door lock mechanism. The lock mechanism is down on the bottom side of the latch assembly, and it is fairly easy to mount the aftermarket actuator in the bottom of the door, route the metal rod from the aftermarket actuator up to the lock mechanism and just bend the end of it into and through the hole on the lock mechanism, then bend it down so it won't come loose. Then just connect the wires from the OE actuator to the 2 wires on the aftermarket actuator. If that door lock works backwards when you operate the electric door locks, just reverse the wire connections. Both the OE and aftermarket actuators are simple 2 wire reverse polarity motors that operate the door lock mechanism. An aftermarket actuator should not cost more than $25.00. Pep Boys used to sell one for about $12.00. Any good car audio/alarm shop will have them, so does Best Buy.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 10-06-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 AM
tbeck1985
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give it a shot man. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Power Locks