2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2.5L engine vibration tracked to a cracked A/C bracket

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:25 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 2.5L engine vibration tracked to a cracked A/C bracket

These last 5 weeks I had been getting a bad engine vibration on acceleration drove me nuts trying to figure it out Bad engine NO, Bad harmonic balancer NO, Bad gasoline No, Low engine Compression NO, Motor mounts old NO, Checked everything under the sun NO.

Well I finally found the problem my A/C bracket was cracked real Bad to the point of complete failure noticed it because I noticed the compressor looked rather louse shaky grabbed it and gave it a pull and it almost came right off on me WOW was it cracked bad.

Vibration is now gone fixed, that vibration was driving me CRAZY.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:38 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool why ??

The bracket cracked because the bracket was never secured from day one the dealership mechanic striped the one top bolt and never could get it to sock down and secure it so it was free to vibrate its self to death and it took 12 years to finally self-destruct

Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the trouble is that any 4 cylinder engine with out a balance shaft, will vibrate, ie it cant be balanced smooth. and puts out tons of bending. most makers just put a very big rubber suports on engine so you dont feel it riding in side. my uncle had a ford pinto. in 5-7 years he put 4 to 5 brackets. take a look at the motor mounts.

Quick Reply: 2.5L engine vibration tracked to a cracked A/C bracket