2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering parts help, JCWhitney??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:03 PM
tehbeast87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering parts help, JCWhitney??

Hey all,

I recently got new tires from Goodyear and they gave me an estimate paper showing I may need a left inner tie rod, right upper ball joint, and left lower ball joint. I was on JCWhitney and some of their parts don't specify left or right but just say "inner tie rod" or "upper ball joint". Should I replace both left and right of the same part when I do this or just replace as needed? Have any of you used JCWhitney with success? Any recommendations of places to get affordable parts for my Dak? Thanks

- Ethan

Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default well check yourself be sure

All shops are money grabers always telling customers they need this or that they want to make money off you.

So dont belive the shop check yourself and be sure you realy need that done.

First is your truck 4X4 or 2WD I only know the 2WD but 4X4 is very close regarding what you are telling us on this forum.

To check your front end jack it up off the wheels grab one side at a time and pull as hard as you can and listen for poping noises if you have a friend that can look at the backside of the wheel as you pull he can see if its the top moving or the bottom moving this sort of shows you but look at all the videos you can.

Rockauto.com is a great online place for parts

Not the greatest vid but it works

Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default just so you know

just so you know if they are just a tad loose they are good for a few more years you just dont want them very loose slight ware is acceptable its when they are very loose that you want to replace them but if you have many parts like all upper and lower ball joints are loose then start thinking about replacing them.

Or another way of thinking is are you experiancing shaky steering or they feel too loose or make noise if its bothering you its time to replace them.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:41 PM
tehbeast87

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
All shops are money grabers always telling customers they need this or that they want to make money off you.

So dont belive the shop check yourself and be sure you realy need that done.

First is your truck 4X4 or 2WD I only know the 2WD but 4X4 is very close regarding what you are telling us on this forum.

To check your front end jack it up off the wheels grab one side at a time and pull as hard as you can and listen for poping noises if you have a friend that can look at the backside of the wheel as you pull he can see if its the top moving or the bottom moving this sort of shows you but look at all the videos you can.
The Goodyear we have gone to has always been pretty reliable and honest. Just really expensive cause they claim to use genuine parts. I have noticed a pop when turning to the right while backing out of the driveway. I'm not sure if the steering is loose or my power steering is just really good but it never really feels like I'm steering but my truck turns. I have the 2WD SXT if that helps. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:48 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default you should get in the habit of checking anyway

Jack it up and do the check like the vid Im not sure what you can afford.

A shop will be $300 to $600 depending on how much work is needed do it yourself and it will be way less.

Are you thinking of doing it yourself or at shop?

If you are not handy or good at auto work a shop is ok this kind of work ball joints its not so easy but not very hard just kind of hard.

So what are you asking for how to do it or should the shop do it?

My truck stears easy also its the power steering on them.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Xxaler
Professional

Inner tie rods are a cake walk. They'll fit either side, and really easy way to save a couple hundred.

1. Remove tire
2. Crack loose tie rod end adjusting bolt (just crack it, then leave it, otherwise you'll be adjusting your toe)
3. Cut the cotter pin on the tie rod stud
4. penetrating lubricant
5. power that bolt off
6. with a good solid hammer, hit the spindle right next to where the stud is, a few good hard cracks at it until you see the stud move up a bit
7. pop it out, unthread until its off
8. compare tie rods, make sure they're the same size, if theres a minor difference, play it by eye
9. thread back on until its right at the adjusting bolt
10. give the adjusting bolt a good crack until its tight on the tie rod end
11. put your tire on, then beer time

Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default still original tierod ends

My tierod ends are still original ones and still in good shape except the boots are cracking so I may replace them in the next year or two but they are not loose at all I purchased the replacement boots but decided to wait and just replace the tierod ends and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Steering parts help, JCWhitney??