2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transfer Case or Wheel Bearings.....??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM
boomerang285
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case or Wheel Bearings.....??

I have heard from a handful of people that the noise I am hearing is either the transfer case or wheel bearings... The noise i am hearing reminds me of what it would sound like when you sharpen a blade or knife. I can't tell where the noise is coming from. Sometimes when I ease off the gas it will stop for a few seconds, so its not constant, never gets louder, and I have heard it since we bought it like 2 months ago.. is there any way to distinguish the two? The truck doesn't pull to either side, doesn't shake when I drive in city or highway, got it up to 90 and its as smooth a ride as can be, got new brakes and tires in September... I don't have a lift or anything to look under the truck on my own, nor would i know what I'm looking for.... Please if anyone has an opinion I would love to hear it!! Thanks guys, you are always so helpful.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Blaze10
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a jack and jack up one side at a time. and take your tire at a 12-6 grab and rock it back and forth do it to both the driver side and passenger side. if they move then the wheel bearings are bad if they are tight then they shouldn't be bad. but if you notice that noise when you turn a lot then it is most likely is the wheel bearings, i have no idea the signs for a transfer case

Quick Reply: Transfer Case or Wheel Bearings.....??