2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

NewMember

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:30 PM
mano.navarro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NewMember

Hi there, just joined today, I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. I own a 2001 Dodge Dakota, 4.7/V8, Quad Cab. I am the original owner, 220K kilometers.

I'm having a problem with my gas gauge and I am unable to pump gas continuously (until full) after pumping 10-12 liters. Never experienced or even heard of something like this.

I will try and search for topics that will hopefully answer and solve this issue, if not I will make a post.

Thanks!!
mano

Old 11-09-2011, 03:42 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 11-10-2011, 11:39 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So let me make sure I have this right when every pumping gas after 10litres (2 gal) the pump wont pump any more into the tank? This is telling my you have a blocked vent line. Try pumping in slow next time

Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have the same problem on my old Dakota. If you tried letting it pump full speed, it would shut off in a couple seconds. I used to have to hold it half way until it was full. Some pumps would work and it would fill up but I'm guessing they were just slower pumps. I never figured out the problem before I sold it.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
mano.navarro
Default 2001 Dodge Dakota / Pumping Gas Problem

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
So let me make sure I have this right when every pumping gas after 10litres (2 gal) the pump wont pump any more into the tank? This is telling my you have a blocked vent line. Try pumping in slow next time
Thanks for your reply, I will check the vent line and hopefully you are correct. I will email back after the weekend of the result.

I am pumping very,very,very,very,very, slowly ever since this has happened, I pump in 20ltrs every time I am at the pump. But trying to pump that 8-10ltrs to make 20 when the pump stops sure takes a long time. It is slower than molasses!

thank you
mano

Old 11-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Krowbar
Rookie

This is a common problem with lot's of vehicles! This is the only time you will here me say this, but "don't stick it all the way in." Stick the nozzle from the pump only like 3/4 of the way in. I had a Jeep that did this and my mums Saturn did it too. Just didn't force it all the way in..... haha ok enough