2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001Dakota/Problem pumping gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 PM
mano.navarro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001Dakota/Problem pumping gas

Hi there, just joined today, I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. I own a 2001 Dodge Dakota, 4.7/V8, Quad Cab. I am the original owner, 220K kilometers. I had a brand new pump installed a year and a half ago by a mechanic. Have not done any other work on this truck that maybe related to this issue.

I'm having a problem with my gas gauge (always at empty) and I am unable to pump gas continuously (until full) after pumping 10-12 liters. Never experienced or even heard of something like this. Happened 2 weeks ago, first the gauge was erratic then the gas pumping problem.

Just hoping someone here has experienced or has fixed this problem or know where the problem is.

thank you
mano

Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Krowbar
Rookie

As for the gas shutting off after a few liters, try not sticking the nozzle so far down into the tank. Have seen this happen on a lot of vehicles. Just stick the nozzle in a inch or so less. This is the only time you will hear me say not to stick it all the way in by the way!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:43 AM
FLICKER

My fuel pump / sender unit was installed in wrong position at Canadian Tire before I purchased the truck. It was turned so the float couldn't operate without hitting the side of the tank, so it showed full all the time. I took it out and turned it a bit towards the front, then it worked ok...

Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 PM
mano.navarro

Hi Flicker,
Thank you for your reply. I do have a 'newly' installed fuel pump - about 8-10 months back, it was functioning properly, until early November of this year.
You said you took your fuel pump out? Did you have to bring your gas tank down or remove your box?
I am curious, I want to check my overflow gas hose too. One suggested that that might be the cause (clogged hose) on why the gas pump shuts off after a few liters when I put in gas.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 AM
FLICKER

I dropped the tank, there was a recall on the bolts that hold the straps on, I don't remember if they were wrong, or if they wren't tightened properly at the factory, check into it perhaps. I marked the tank and the sender unit with a marking pen to know where I started then just turned it, it was obvious that the sending unit arm would hit the tank, so just adjust it to fit. The only way to check the location is to drop the tank, ( not a real big deal) to see what you are doing. Hope this helps you out a little. There is a little flapper valve in the filler pipe so you can't siphon gas, maybe it is stuck closed?
Dave

Quick Reply: 2001Dakota/Problem pumping gas