2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ignition light

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 PM
MattKendall
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition light

has anyone swapped out the bulb in the ignition switch?

that pale dim green light in my dak needs replacing but before i tear into the dash i wondered if anyone has seen a write-up on an LED swap? thanks!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:07 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you take the top and bottom cover off your steering column you can get to it.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

You'll need a tamper-proof screwdriver. Forgot which torx size it is. I'm not on my main computer, but I have a website where I got my LED ones. Good thing yours actually works...mine doesn't get power for some reason, so I routed my own wires to it, instead.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:41 AM
MattKendall
Amateur

Originally Posted by Rakaric
You'll need a tamper-proof screwdriver. Forgot which torx size it is. I'm not on my main computer, but I have a website where I got my LED ones. Good thing yours actually works...mine doesn't get power for some reason, so I routed my own wires to it, instead.
when you get a minute shoot me the address.. are you happy with the LED's? i swear i have had the worst luck finding a good quality/good price website for LED's.. also, brightness is an issue.. looking for it to blind me lol

Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the size is a t10 torx bit.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Nevermind about needing tamperproof for the cover. I just looked at the screwdriver I used specially for that. It says T15. However, you *might* have to take off the ignition switch to be able to access the lightbulb better. Not positive as I forgot, but I do remember it was a tight fit. If that's the case, then you'll need a tamperproof bit for the 3 screws holding it down.

I love em! I got the cool white color and I also replaced the remaining lights bulbs in the dash and 4WD indicator. Unfortunately the headlight switch can't be replaced.

Anyway...website is here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...nstrument.html
The bulb you're looking to replace with is number 74, the last product listed in the link. I believe I just got the standard instead of the high powered...not sure. These do come with their own bases, but you won't be using those. Just simply pull the bulb out and put it in the original socket. They are polarized, so you gotta put it in the right direction.

If you ever want to replace the dash lights in the Fan control...you then want to be looking at the top product with the twist lock. I think it's the 3mm that you need, but don't quote me on that. If I find out where I put my extras, I can measure it.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:26 AM
MattKendall
Amateur

nice, just ordered my leds for the ignition switch and they should be here in a couple days.. so nice to clean things up.. i'll post some pics when i throw 'em in.. thanks for the help guys and thanks Rakaric for the website!

Quick Reply: ignition light