2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

PCM or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 12:05 AM
gibby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM or not?

opps wrong forum. sorry.

I have a 97 dodge Ram 1500 V8 and the problem started last month when I was driving at 55 - 60 mph it started to miss and run very rough the check engine light came on as well. I was able to park it and I called the service center. When the guy showed it started right up, he took it for a short drive and he had no problems. That night I drove it home and it did the same thing so I had it towed to a shop close to my house. They gave the truck a complete tune up replaced plugs, wires, rotor and cap. It ran fine for 3 weeks then it happened again. I had it towed to the same shop the gave me the tune up and the only thing the found was that cyl 5 and 8 were missing. He thought it might of been the coil, so he replaced the coil and it still happened. They did some more diag and they came to the conclusion that the PCM might be going bad. They quoted me $600.00 to replace it. Well not having the $$ I took it to the used car dealer where I bought it. They had it for one week and they were not able to do a complete diag because it never acted up. So I picked it up and the problem occoured twice. WTF!!!!!!! I asked them when I picked it up if they pulled the pcm to check for damage to either the wire harnesses or to the unit itself. They said that they did and there was no problem found. I asked if the converter was plugged and they said it was fine. I am at my witts end and I need help. Any ideas?