2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Got my first 99 Dakota, need some beginner tips on general maintance and easy tuneups

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 PM
peteyb91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my first 99 Dakota, need some beginner tips on general maintance and easy tuneups

Just bought my first truck, a '99 Dodge Dakota, and wanted to know what are some easy things for me to start off doing/cleaning/inspecting/replacing etc. Im not looking to spend a fortune right now in aftermarket parts, just want to know what a beginner can do in terms of general maintance/small tune-ups to help the truck run well with its current parts.

Im good with my hands, but this is the first time Ive ever worked on a truck so Im pretty new to this. Anyone have any advice or links to other places that can show me some things to start off doing on my truck?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Full tune up. Plugs,wires,cap and rotor. Engine oil change to the brand you prefer and maybe go up to syn blend or full syn. Inspect the front end for worn ball joints,bearings and tie rods. Check the front and rear end to make sure the fluid doesnt have any water in it. Check the anti freez make sure its at the proper freezing point and make sure its clean and not all dirty. Check the tranny fluid that it is clean and not burnt smelling. Thats all I can think of for now lol

Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what he said ^^^ that should keep you busy for a while.

Quick Reply: Got my first 99 Dakota, need some beginner tips on general maintance and easy tuneups