2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

aftermarket remote start help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:02 PM
piette24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket remote start help

Hey everyone,

Okay so i know this topic has probably been beaten into the ground, but i just bought a 2000 dodge dakota that came with factory keyless entry. its a black key so i know that it doesn't need a bypass.

so getting that out of the way, does anyone has the right combination of hooking up the door locks for a remote start/alarm system? i found a couple of ideas, but i've gotten as far as getting the door to unlock once out of eight times or so and not lock at all. so im curious the configuration to make the locks function properly and what system people have used and had success with.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:59 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You might need to check the sticker in the driver's door jamb, see what your build date is. Some of the 2000 Dakota's are wired like the newer 2001 wire system. I have no idea how to tell by the build date, other than if it is prior to maybe the Spring time months of 2000 it is probably an earlier 2000 model. September is the month the model years change. My own truck is a 2001 but was built on September 13, 2000.

If it is an early 2000 Dakota it may need a positive pulse for lock and have a reverse polarity configuration for unlock. Check this wire diagram:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...etail/702.html

If that doesn't look right it might be an later build model 2000 Dakota. Then it might be a one-wire lock/unlock configuration. If so, check this diagram and see if it matches your truck:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/....asp~TID~50896

If you have the one-wire door lock sysyem with the white/green stripe wire, then you need to use relays and resistors to trigger ground from the door lock and unlock wires from your remote start to the white/green wire. Most alarms, remote starts and keyless entry systems that have negative door lock outputs do not have enough of a ground to trigger the lock system, even through resistors.

Hope that helps.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: aftermarket remote start help