2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

7 Band EQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 7 Band EQ

So as some of you are aware as of in my last thread, i had bought a dual headunit and found out it was trash. So I went and bought a Sony CDX-GT65UIW/Q. Of course nothing can be simple for me. I just wanted to be able to adjust something simple like a bass and a treb to get a good rock sound. With this there is only presets of; Explod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, and custom. I can listen to edge but its not that great. I'm able to adjust 7 separate bands which go from -6 to +6 dB. I'm gonna be honest I have no clue what I am doing. I just want to have a good sounding Rock EQ like in iTunes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_1231.jpg

Old 12-19-2011, 09:23 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The deck does not have old school bass and treble controls. You do have the preset EQ curves that Sony puts in the deck and if you don't like any of those, then you can set your own custom EQ curve. I notice a lot of manufacturers are doing that now. The only manufacturer I have seen that the preset EQ sounds good is Kenwood. Most of the others I have heard just add distortion and sound like crap.

To use your custom EQ curve, you need to visualize an old school 7 band EQ that had slide controls and then pick each frequency in the Sony custom EQ and adjust it how you want. For straight Rock type sound, I would just give it more highs (adjust the 6.3 kHz to 16.0 kHz bands up to maybe 4 or 5 db, expecially if you still have your OEM speakers), the next 2 bands up maybe 2 or 3 db and keep the mids (400 hz and 1000 hz pretty flat, maybe adjust those to +2db at most and if the speakers can handle it add about 3 db at the 160 hz and 63 hz range. That would probably do OK for most rock music. If you were to see that curve on an old school EQ it would look like the smile-shaped curve that most people would recognize on an EQ, but really you can set the frequencies any way that sounds good to you. You have to tinker around with it and tune it how you like it.

Jimmy

Old 12-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Brian_
Captain

thank you for the advice, ill have to mess with it a little bit after school and see how it works out. I tried playing with it last night, but i just simply didn't know what controlled what and yes i do have oem speakers.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Brian_
Captain

thanks silvercc, sounds great! now i know what controls the lows, mids, and highs!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to know it worked out and sounds good.

Jimmy

Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Brian_
Captain

one thing leads to another, now im tempted to buy new speakers with this weeks paycheck... haha

Quick Reply: 7 Band EQ