2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Broken rear caliper piston - Next steps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 PM
csamson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken rear caliper piston - Next steps?

I’m replacing the rear rotor and pads on an 03 Dakota Quad cab, 4x4. I got everything apart and the rotor in place. However, I put the inboard pad in upside down, and in doing so I took a wedge out of the caliper piston. The wedge is ~1in wide and 3/8” deep. No fluid leak as of yet, but the piston is pushed all the way in, in preparation for putting in the new pads. I’m not sure if it will start leaking once it extends.
As I see it I have two options, replace the caliper or replace the piston and boot. I’m assuming the former is easier than the latter. As you can tell, I’m no mechanic. Do I have to buy two calipers? The book indicates replacing them in pairs. Anything I should watch out for when replacing the caliper (other than myself).
Thanks.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i didint think Dakotas had rear calipers, i thought it was always drums.

Last edited by thunder98110; 12-23-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Xxaler
Professional

I'm not sure what you're talking about a wedge 1" deep and 3/8" wide? Please elaborate..

You don't have to replace your calipers in pairs, but it is recommended to keep even braking power on both sides. If you just put in new pads and rotors on both sides, I honestly wouldn't even worry about it.

If you've messed up to the point of actually needing a new caliper, don't just order the caliper. Check the price for the full assembly, depends on vehicle but sometimes they charge $220 for the caliper alone, then $90 for the full assembly (caliper, anchor, hardware as a kit). Slap a vice grip on the flex hose lightly, unbolt the hose from the caliper, get your two copper washers on there, then slap it onto the new caliper, gravity bleed, then pressure bleed.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I cracked the piston on one of my brake calipers about 2 years ago. I had used a big pair of Channellocks to bottom the piston back into its bore, instead of using a c-clamp. I was in a hurry and should have slowed down and used a c-clamp. It took a small chunk out of the edge of the piston and put a long crack in it too. It might have been OK to leave it that way but to be on the safe side I just replaced both calipers. I think I spent $80.00 or $90.00 on the pair. If I were you I would replace both rear calipers and bleed the brakes after that.

Jimmy

Old 12-24-2011, 02:48 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default one is ok

You can only replace only one caliper if needed as long as the other old one is in good shape.

I have done it a few times on the front of my truck with no problems only replace one caliper.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:53 PM
csamson
Default Thanks

Thanks all. The wedge was a chunk of the piston that popped out. I got a replacement caliper and will install it tomorrow. I appreciate the help/advice.

Quick Reply: Broken rear caliper piston - Next steps?