2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:58 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body

So I've been trying to figure out cheap ways to help improve my mpg and I remembered that when I put my throttle body spacer in that the throttle body itself looked kinda dirty, so I was thinking about pulling it off and cleaning it. But my main question is what would be the best way to get it completely clean. I have searched the forum and haven't found much on how it should be cleaned just that it is a good idea. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 06:35 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking carb cleaner a big can

carb cleaner a big can

remove the TPS MAP or other sensors first grab a new gasket for the throttle body the idle chamber is usually gooped up bad all full of black muck.

Easy fix use Q-tips to help get it all out

Old 01-01-2012, 09:22 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After removing all the sensors, I submerge mine in a 1 gal bucket of carb cleaner or you could use mineral spirits, and let it soak about 2-3 hours. Remove from the cleaner and use a small wood glue brush to clean off the gunk then rinse it off in a mixture of water and Dawn dish washing liquid. Either let it air dry, use a hair dryer on high setting or blow it off with compressed air which is what I do.

Also be sure to check the passages for the vac ports on the front of the TB...one for the MAP sensor and larger one for the evap system. People routinely over look these vac ports but they are very important to have clean and unobstructed with gunk.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default cant get that anymore

In California and Arizona they have some strict environment laws and restrict many things one is a bucket of carb cleaner it’s not available anymore, Arizona is not as bad as CA but close.

So only a can of carb cleaner is available now no dipping cans allowed only shops even then you pay a state fee to use them and need to meet some strong safety and EPA standards.

EPA madness

Quick Reply: Throttle Body