2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Map sensor uh-oh

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Cymaxx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map sensor uh-oh

So I got some money for Christmas to do some misc. fixes on my truck, I decided one would be to drop a hundred on a new map sensor from Dodge, since I had seen recommendations to go OEM vs. the cheaper parts store versions. I took advantage of the nice weather over the weekend to try to remove it, had heard it was like a 5 minute change out.

Well, I started loosening the screws and they just kept spinning, never really disengaging. After getting a bit frustrated I decided to use a flathead screwdriver to give it some motivation and ended up breaking the plastic at the sensor screw hole. That's fine, it's coming off anyway, right? But when I finally got the screw to come out, it appears the screw melded to the brass ring in the sensor hole, and what I was turning was the insert into the plastic manifold, and the whole thing popped out. I have only taken the one side out, but I think the other side is the same deal. By the way, haven't had a chance to take pictures, sorry. Hopefully you can understand what I am describing.

So my question is, I can buy some replacement screws, but how do I get it to stick back in the manifold? Can I heli-coil it? Do they make them that small? Maybe I can buy new inserts? I'm afraid to damage the manifold somehow. I haven't really looked around yet, but thought I would ask here.

By the way, any ideas on how to get a torx allen wrench out from under the manifold? There is a really convenient gap right under the sensor that leads to the never-neverland of space between the manifold and the top of the block. I can't get my magnet to bend down into it either.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure you can take those in and match up.. find a junk yard.. if you still cant find any send some bones over to my pay pal and I'll run down to the junk yard from my house; they have a Dakota in there that has a good looking TB and everything on it.. I'm sure I could snag the bolts for you if you really needed them.. but youd have to wait for them to ship to you lol.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:53 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

Did you:
1) break the threaded piece of metal out of the manifold?
2) break a metal ring out of the old map sensor?

I think you're saying #1, right?

I'd try roughing up the metal ring with some course sandpaper, and jbweld it back in the manifold. Make sure the screw turns freely in it first, and maybe put a little anti-sieze on the screw threads when it put it back in. When reassembling, I'd turn that screw just enough to snug it up.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Cymaxx

Actually it is both #1 & 2. The screw seems to have melded itself to both pieces of brass. If I can get the screw to release from the threaded piece I can always replace the screw and stick the threaded piece back in. Will JB Weld stick to the plastic manifold okay? Your right, I really just need it to stick in well enough to hold it. I've actually been driving it with only one screw holding it in right now and haven't noticed any problems.

I'm hoping to get time tomorrow to fix it, I'll come back and post the results.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

For the screw being stuck in both pieces now, if you tear it up trying to get it apart you're no worse off than you are now (needing to throw it away and find a new screw). I'd heat it up with a propane torch and see if it loosens.

If the manifold is clean (and is should be since you just pulled the metal ring out), I think your chances are good that jbweld will stick it in there. If it doesn't, you're no worse off than you are now (needing to go find a new manifold).

It shouldn't take much jbweld, since there really shouldn't be any extra room between that piece of metal and the manifold. So just use a tiny bit so you don't get it squirting out everywhere. If you get some inside the manifold, it might cause problems...

When you get the screw loose, I'd put it back in the metal ring and make sure it turns freely now. Then put a little jbweld on the ring, and insert it in the manifold. After the ring is all the way in, try to keep it from spinning and take the screw out while the jbweld cures. That way, you don't have the screw glued in there, and you don't have jbweld pushed in side the ring where the screw needs to be.

Or, you could just put the screw through the new map sensor, and into the ring - THEN - put some jbweld on the ring and push it into the manifold. You'll never know if the jbweld does anything because the other screw will hold it in place. But you won't have to worry about the jbweld filling up your threads so the screw won't go in, or breaking it loose when tightening the screw.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Cymaxx

So I got it done yesterday, fairly similar to what you described. Ended up nearly destroying the old map sensor, but got it off and after soaking the screws and the threaded inserts they were stuck in in some PB Blaster, got them apart with vice grips. JB Welded them back in, and used new screws (the old ones ended up pretty stripped) to install new sensor.

Not too bad, but lost another allen wrench under the manifold (DOH!) I'll eventually find a magnet I can get to bend under there to try and retrieve them, I guess.

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Map sensor uh-oh