2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front pad removal and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 02:25 PM
flyboy08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front pad removal and replacement

Can someone plz tell me how to replace the front brake pads on a 1997 Dodge Dakota 4X4.
A link to a guide with pictures or steps would be appreciated.

Interested in a step by step process with the proper torque numbers as well. Will check the rotors once the wheels and breaks are off.

TIA, Flyboy

Old 08-04-2005, 02:44 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front pad removal and replacement

As cheap as doing your own brakes are, it may be easier and almost as cheap to get them done in a shop. Check around for weekend deals or new customer coupons. I got my 2000 Dakota's front brakes done for $55 with a lifetime warranty. It would have cost me 32$ for the brakes if i did it myself. If your determined to do it yourself...................

Take yourself down to a Autozone and pick up a Haynes Manual. They have them for the 97-99 models. It's a pretty simple thing to do. Jack the truck up, pull off the wheel, and turn the wheel to the right while working on the left wheel and vice versa. this gives you more arm room to work with. you will need an alan wrench, 3/8's i do believe. There are 2 "bolts" you would unscrew with the alan wrench on the brake caliper. once those are released, you will need to tap the caliper up with a plastic mallet or a hammer. DONT bang on it. It should come loose with a lil effort. Once it's off, just swap out the brakes for the new ones and reverse the process.

Quick Reply: Front pad removal and replacement