2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Enigine likes to stop running in damp weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:33 PM
nakins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I might take it up there and see.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
nakins

Just to further add to this thread if anyone less has the same problem, I did take it up to the gas station near where I work. That morning it was hard to start and died on me as I was pulling into the parking lot. I had waited about an hour to take it up there and it started right up. The gas station tried starting it several times and it started without any problem. It was cold and dry weather. I don't believe that gas station had an odb2 diagnostic system. But they did say the "pulled" the codes and found a code indicating that there was a problem with the primary ignition. I'm guessing that I have a bad ground or bad cable, or bad connection somewhere. I can't see how a coil would act differently under damp weather as apposed to dry weather. I'm going to replace it anyway. I'm assuming that a cable or connection draws in moisture while it is damp and it take the heating of the electrical current to dry it out enough to start and run.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
mfpudak
Amateur

I had a similar problem, but with the 5.2 and it turned out to be the ignition coil. Take it out and look for cracks in the insulation on the underside. Mine still made spark but in poor conditions it wouldn't run. I've experienced this with a couple of Dodge trucks.

Quick Reply: Enigine likes to stop running in damp weather