2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

front brake drag

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM
gwat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brake drag

2000 4x4 4.7L.
My front brakes are dragging. What to do? Noticed it yesterday for the first time, came home and smelled burning brakes. Front rotors were hot and noticably worn! Doh! Was thinking it could be a stuck piston, but it happened at the same time on both front wheels so the chances of all pistons being stuck is unlikely. What can I adjust to back off the brakes?? And why can this happen?

Last edited by gwat; 01-10-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the front brake hoses are collapsing inside and only letting the fluid flow out to the brake caliper but not back to the reservoir. This causes the front calipers to stick, over heats the pads, rotors and the seals inside the calipers.

Don't know what your budget can stand but I recommend replacing everything up front...pads, rotors, calipers and brakes hoses.

Just as a future reference, the #1 cause of the brake hose problem is when people change pads up front they let the caliper hang by the rubber hose instead of hanging it from the frame. This causes cracks inside the hose and will eventually stop the flow of the brake fluid which in turn causes the front brake problems.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:14 PM
GrnDak01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem you did and ended up replacing the rotors, pad, and calipers. I wish I would have done the hoses but everything works great now. I'll probably replace the hoses when the weather is warmer.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:14 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I agree bwdakrt

I agree bwdakrt

If on a budget I suggest replacing the flex lines/hoses new pads have the rotors turned reinstall flush out all old brake fluid try that, if still the brakes are dragging try this pop off the calipers just un bolt them dont let them hang now this is a fix that works some of the time now put a C-clamp on the caliper piston and push in the piston gently now till the piston bottoms out then re-install the caliper see if they no longer drag on you.

If still dragging new calipers are needed.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 01-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
I agree bwdakrt

If on a budget I suggest replacing the flex lines/hoses new pads have the rotors turned reinstall flush out all old brake fluid try that, if still the brakes are dragging try this pop off the calipers just un bolt them dont let them hang now this is a fix that works some of the time now put a C-clamp on the caliper piston and push in the piston gently now till the piston bottoms out then re-install the caliper see it they no longer drag on you.

If still dragging new calipers are needed.
If I may add...ALWAYS leave the old inside brake pad on the caliper when pressing the caliper piston back. Eliminates the possibility of damaging the caliper piston with the c-clamp.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default C-clamp is ok

I used just a C-clamp for many years with no problems to push my caliper piston in just don’t crank on it that’s all be gentle.

Personally I think the flex lines are not the problem in most cases and is way over hyped as a needed fix but they are cheap so why not replace them at $25 a pop big deal.

I have one original caliper on my truck still works great that’s 13 years of solid usage only thing I just did was replace the guide bushings two months ago.

I know this because I did my brakes all these years only one time did I pay a shop the first time back in 2000 because they were binding.

Brakes are so easy to do especially the front disk brakes, getting the rotors turned are the biggest hassle not to mention trusting the place that turns them not to turn them to death I have had places cut them down to nothing in the past and you are like WTF why did you do that, I had a back drum turned last month and they cut so much out it crazy.

Quick Reply: front brake drag