2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Suspension Question -Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You said when coming to a stop you could feel a lot of slop. Does either side of your tires look like this?

IMG_7028-1.jpg

I had a bad pull after my accident. Steering wheel was cocked and all. Weird thing was when I put on my brakes at about 10mph or less the steering wheel would fix itself and it wouldnt pull anymore. My upper control arm was loose and letting it go back and forth in its alignment slots so it had 2 in of play. Weird thing was when jacked up with the tire off I didnt have any play at all. I finally figured out to throw a jack under my lower ball joint and jack it up till it was level and sure enough it moved when it got high enough.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
ksJoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Plus I don't like the constant back and forth action.. I know part of it is the stearing box; these old styles always had an issue like that.. walking back and forth as driving..
By "walk back and forth" do you mean sloppy and wandering? That sounds like suspension issues.

But, if you have wide, fully inflated tires, and you're driving on asphalt with ruts in it, it may be tramlining. My IS350 has wide high performance tires and it does that. It takes some getting used to, but there's nothing wrong with it. If this sounds like it could be whats going on, find some smoother pavement and see if does better.

As for the ball joints and tie rods, jack up the wheels and shake and twist on the wheels.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say sorta have to stear back and forth left right to keep going strait.. as the truck pulls to the right.. but slowing down (with or with out breaks)..

My father knows a hell of a suspinsion alignment guy said he would go through my truck compleatly for 10 bucks. I'm going to let him take a look.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:17 PM
DGjohn3

If all the ideas that everyone has posted, try installing a sway bar... Reduces swaying and body roll. Look into it, see if that could be a solution for you.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:00 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I would check your torsion bars make sure that they are tightened the same, when I tightened mine I didn't get them the same and I noticed that one side tended to lean a bit more as soon as I got them the same it fixed it

Old 01-14-2012, 12:58 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Exactly what I was thinking.. the Friend of my dad is going to go through everything for 10 bucks and make sure they are correct.. and tell me every parts that needs to be replaced right away and what can wait.. basically what ever it will take to get it where it drives strait and stops pulling..

Guy is supposed to know his stuff.. so I don't to just start dropping money in this thing.. so it's def. worth 10 bucks to get a pro's opinion and go from there. I'll let you guys know how it turns out and thanks for all the great advise!

Quick Reply: Suspension Question -Need advise