2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dakota 4x2 - Clunk in the Front

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:20 PM
drschultz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dakota 4x2 - Clunk in the Front

Hello, I have a 02 Dakota 4x2 3.9 Club 122,000 miles. I hear a clunk sound coming from the driver side front wheel. It is not constant and does not repeat. I just hear one "clunk". It usually happens when turning, but have heard it when going straight. I only hear it at low speeds (in parking lots etc). Have never heard it at highway or street speeds.
I am a computer guy and know little about automobiles. I would like to know what to tell a Mechanic and what to watch out for so I don't get shafted.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

When it happens going straight, was there any bump that moved the suspension, or was it flat ground where the suspension shouldn't be moving?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 PM
drschultz

Originally Posted by ksJoe
When it happens going straight, was there any bump that moved the suspension, or was it flat ground where the suspension shouldn't be moving?
Flat Ground, no bumps.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

So it might not be suspension.

The AC compressor on my wife's SUV makes a clunk every time the clutch engages. Sometimes its a pretty fierce thunk that you can feel. Its been doing that for last 25,000 miles +/-. Even in winter, it kicks the AC on briefly to take the humidity out of the air so the windows don't fog up.

My Dakota AC compressor also makes a little noise, and I've noticed it doing when the heat is on. So the Dakota uses the AC to dehumidify also...

Pay attention when you're not moving but with the heat/fan on. If you hear it then, this is probably what it is. Open the hood, and watch the AC compressor. If it starts or stops moving when you hear the noise, this is definitely what it is.

If its just the AC clutch, you might as well ignore it until dies.

BTW, I'm a computer guy too (software engineer).

Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 PM
drschultz

So it might not be suspension.

The AC compressor on my wife's SUV makes a clunk every time the clutch engages. Sometimes its a pretty fierce thunk that you can feel. Its been doing that for last 25,000 miles +/-. Even in winter, it kicks the AC on briefly to take the humidity out of the air so the windows don't fog up.

My Dakota AC compressor also makes a little noise, and I've noticed it doing when the heat is on. So the Dakota uses the AC to dehumidify also...

Pay attention when you're not moving but with the heat/fan on. If you hear it then, this is probably what it is. Open the hood, and watch the AC compressor. If it starts or stops moving when you hear the noise, this is definitely what it is.

If its just the AC clutch, you might as well ignore it until dies.

BTW, I'm a computer guy too (software engineer).
I am pretty sure I heard it when the HVAC is off and only while moving. I would think that I wouldn't hear the AC clutch if the HVAC is off. I will do a more thorough investigation tomorrow and post here.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:53 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

If you're feeling ambitious, jack up the front end, one side at a time. Shake and pull on the wheels in all directions. The ball joints and tie rods go bad on the Dakota's. If the wheel moves, you've got ball joints or tie rods to do. (and that may or may not be your noise)

While its up, shake and pull on everything else you can find in the suspension. If you can move it by hand, that's probably a problem.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
drschultz

If you're feeling ambitious, jack up the front end, one side at a time. Shake and pull on the wheels in all directions. The ball joints and tie rods go bad on the Dakota's. If the wheel moves, you've got ball joints or tie rods to do. (and that may or may not be your noise)

While its up, shake and pull on everything else you can find in the suspension. If you can move it by hand, that's probably a problem.
Actually I took it into a shop. They could not hear the problem, they did say the lower ball-joint was a little loose. Not bad but loose, he rated it as 8 out of 10 (10 being perfect). The funny thing is that I hear it and the only time I do hear it is when I am turning left. From what I read on the internet it may be a wheel bearing.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dakota 4x2 - Clunk in the Front