2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Camper shell questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:34 PM
N1CK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Camper shell questions.

I am contemplating whether i should get a camper shell for my truck. I drive a 2001 dodge dakota 4 door.I have found a decent camper top on craigslist for $300 dollars and it like a good deal for the price. I just have a few questions?

How do camper shells affect visibility?

Is it worth getting one or should i get a Tonneau cover?

I have found a decent camper top on craigslist for $300 dollars and it like a good deal for the price. The only problem is he doesnt have the key to the rear lock. How hard would it be to replace the lock?

EDIT: I plan on putting a compressor and other things that need to stay dry in the bed.

Also, how much would it cost to get one repainted?

Last edited by N1CK; 01-21-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:01 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your visibility will obviously be reduced. But it should be fine. As far as tonneau vs. camper top, that all depends on your use. What do you plan on carrying in it?

When I bought my truck, the previous owner didn't have the key to my tonneau cover either. I bought a new lock roller (if that's the right word) with 2 new keys and it worked fine. Easy installation. It should be the same for a camper top. You may just be able to buy a whole new handle from the manufacturer if that would be easier.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:15 PM
BlueQC
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a camper shell (canopy) on my '01 Dak QC they only visibilty changes I notice are when its raining the windows in it fog up, you learn to compensate by using the mirrors. My canopy didn't come with keys it was nothing that $10 wouldn't fix. I like mine as I can put my tools/gear there. I have slept in mine a bit small for being 5'8". I love mine, wouldn't want to be with out it.

Quick Reply: Camper shell questions.