2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Starter issue or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 AM
nakins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issue or something else?

99 Dakota, 4 cyl, manual.

I few days ago, I was helping a lady at the gas station who's car wouldn't start. I tried to jump it, but her car wouldn't fire off. Then, this other "person" got involved and messed around and put the jumper cables on my battery backwards while connected to the other car. Now, I've been having a ongoing problem with the truck cutting out and bucking and snorting and dying, usually in damp cold weather. But it would always crank. In the last couple of days when I hit the key to start it, sometimes it wouldn't turn over on the first twist of the key. But the second or third it would catch and crank and start. Last night leaving work, I got in it, hit the key, and it fired off, but died right after. Then it wouldn't do jack. I tried to roll start it and it did the same thing. Battery gauge was down to like 6 volts. I had enough power to run the radio and interior lights. I could hear the starter click when I hit the key. I had it towed home and put the battery charger on it for a couple of hours. Charging gauge was down very near the low mark and I figured I had enough charge on it to see if it would turn over. I hit the key and it just clicked. I figure the starter is shorted out. This is my first Dodge in 30 plus years. So, I'm not sure if when the starter shorts out, if it will drain the battery or not. I'm assuming it would. I'm going to swap the battery out from my old truck that threw a rod. And yes, the dakota is in the yard and it is 45 degrees and raining. Any comments or suggestions?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Get it checked out

Go to an AutoZone or other auto parts store have them check your battery out sounds like it’s gone bad. Sounds like it was ready to go but the crossed jumper finished it off.

They can also check your charging system to see if its ok also this is a free service at these stores just go at a slow time of the day.

Quick Reply: Starter issue or something else?