2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brake light switch wiring

Old 02-11-2012, 06:07 PM
TheNewbie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light switch wiring

I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which order the wires in the harness for the brake light switch need to go. I replaced the heater core a few weeks back, and while reinstalling the dash I managed to shear the wires out of the plug connector that goes to the switch above the brake pedal. I ran them around the front side of the steering shaft instead of behind it and they popped out about a week later.

When looking at it with the harness towards me and the clip section up I can see that the left wire was the pink one with a blue stripe, but the rest have been stripped from the jacketing and I have no idea which wire goes where.

It's a 99 Dodge Dakota 4X4 with the 5.2.

I'm driving without brake lights and have no idea how to put it back together so any help would be appreciated.

2012-02-11_15-46-00_170.jpg

Old 02-11-2012, 08:52 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The pinout diagram might be in one of the Dodge Service Manuals up in the link at the top of the 2nd Gen Dakota page. If not, then you might be able to get a pinout from the parts guys at the Dodge dealer. If the dealer is unable to help, I think the best and least troublesome way to get it would be to find a Dakota the same year as yours in a junk yard, and write down the color codes and pin locations from there. Or better yet, just cut the brake light plug and a few inches of wire out of the junk yard truck and splice it in to your own truck, matching the wires color for color.

Jimmy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake light switch wiring