2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

@URBANRDNECK Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
URBANRDNECK get a nice office chair for you Dakota office instead of a bucket much nicer and better for the back.

Well for whatever auto you end up getting.

I have see some nice roller work stools some place like this.

I really need to get a legit rolling chair in there but I legitimately don't have space in my garage, so for now the bucket will do!

Originally Posted by sxrsil3nt
Glad you're still here!

I am just looking at a few aftermarket headlight options because my stock ones are terrible

Thanks!
Umm they were an ebay item I will try to find where I got them from, and the install on them was not very bad it was a matter of getting your hand in the right place without breaking anything.

Here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-97-04-...ht_7412wt_1270

Last edited by URBANRDNECK; 02-15-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:32 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sxrsil3nt's, This is only my two cents. I looked all over for replacement headlights. Even looked at those ones from the ebay link on here. I also read many reviews for "aftermarket" headlights. I honestly did not find many reviews that were positive regarding aftermarket headlights (hid's). Some leaked water, others stuck out from the body (not flush), wiring issues etc. And for the price one has to pay for those aftermarket headlights, it just wasn't sounding too good to me.

I ended up purchasing stock replacement headlights. My original ones were doing the same as yours (yellowing, scratched etc) They just weren't that bright anymore. (And I need to see at night....I'm getting old. LOL)

What a huge difference they made. At least in my opinion. And they were a whole lot cheaper too. Enough so, that I was also able to also replace my fog lights with original equipment. The new headlights helped a lot, and with the new fog lights, made it three or four times brighter. It's not uncommon for me to have someone flash their brights at me at night, only to find out I DON'T HAVE MY BRIGHTS ON YOU IDIOTS, when I flash My brights back at them. DOH!!!

I went through these guys http://www.1aauto.com/ and have had no problems with them. They even have a video that shows you how to remove and replace your headlights (if you need it). They're shipping is fast. For OEM replacement parts I will go with these guys....hands down.

And like I said. You can pretty much get brand new headlights AND fog lights for the same price as HIDS. They may not have the Cool effect factor, but what the hell. They're better than the dingy yellow ones I had.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my two cents.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by ibcnul8r; 02-16-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Unhappy I agree

I agree with you I don’t want to rewire my lights, new clear lenses are fine and I also want the new lenses to fit well and no water leaking into the lenses like the cheap ones do.

I did get some aftermarket tail lights and they don’t fit all that well and the bulbs don’t fit tight and drop out the back on me a few times witch also means water can get inside easy they look good but not a good fit the way I fixed it was tie raps to keep them in place that does suck though.

But just my opinion to each his own

Old 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input ibcnul8r and 98DAKAZ. I was just interested in how people with aftermarket headlights thought of them. I love the look of those lights on URBANRDNECK's truck it looks mean as hell. To me they look flush but then again I hear about aftermarket stuff never fitting properly and can just turn out to be a nightmare.

The only thing I wanna try to avoid is buying another pair of OEM headlights only to have them crack, turn yellow and foggy all over again.

And I love 1aauto!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran

I didn't have to rewire them but they do not sit flush, never really bothered me though

Old 02-16-2012, 08:21 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Was it just plug n play? I'll get mine to sit flush somehow. It may be a challenge because the front bumper is slightly sagging but thats how I bought it and you wouldnt notice it unless you looked for it.

If these were just plug in and go then I will definitely buy them.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran

I'm 99% sure it was plug in play, but now you got me second guessing for some reason. The halo's you do have to wire up. I just had to tap into the parking lights, so now everything I locked my truck the halos would light up... It was legit

Old 02-17-2012, 02:28 AM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another route to go is doing the crystal clear ones and clear corners I would do it next time and never the one piece ones again

Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Yeah I was thinking of the crystal ones but their nearly the same price as the ones that URBANRDNECK has, and IMO i'll still probably run into fitting issues with both so I would want to go with the 1 piece because I like the look a lot more haha.

I'm aware that the halos would require rewiring and yes I'd want to have them running so I would tap into whichever power source was the best.

Thank you to everyone who contributed, I think I'll pick up a pair of those angel eyes there next pay check!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the two piece ones have better adjustment and from the ones I seen they fit pretty well

Quick Reply: @URBANRDNECK Headlights