2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 Dakota popping noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 AM
codyyy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Dakota popping noise from engine

I just bought a 2002 Dodge Dakota, single cab short bed 2wd. It has a 3.9 in it with almost 175k on it. It looks to be basically stock engine-wise other than a Spectre cold air intake. When I bought the truck it had battery issues but I believe I got rid of that.
It has been running a little on the rough side so I changed the oil and gave it a tune-up. This included 10w-30 oil, Bosch filter, new cap and rotor, NGK V-power 4291 plugs (it had Champion 7436 plugs in it when I pulled them out) and new Prestolite wires. I double-checked to make sure the wires were not put on wrong and made sure the NGKs were pre-gapped at .044. It runs a little smoother at idle but every other time I drive it, it hesitates and gives a popping noise when accelerating. It also shakes a bit too when running. It did this before I did the tune-up as well. There isn't a CEL on (although I'm thinking the codes could have been cleared from the previous owner).
I have a code scanner on order to see if any codes pop up, but in the mean time is there anything I can check or look for? I checked the fuses both in the cab and engine bay, nothing looks missing or burnt. I haven't checked the fuel system yet. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:29 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's a backfire, my truck does the same thing but only when its already warm and you go to start it up again. I always get P0303 (Cyl 3 Misfire) and sometimes P0301 (Cyl 1 Misfire).

I too have changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coolant temp sensor and o2 sensors. I'm waiting for spring and then I'm going to do a compression test and my neighbour is also telling me to check the timing.

After that I dunno, if you fix yours let me know what it was.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:44 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have the plugs gapped wrong. They are supposed to be .040 and not .044. Regap the plugs and see if that helps.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:29 PM
00daksport25
Veteran

It might be a bad lifter. I'm not sure if the 3.9 is a OHV or OHC, but if your getting good spark and fuel then check your lifters next.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 PM
codyyy

I took it to a mechanic who hooked it up to the Modis computer he had. He couldn't really find much because no codes popped up. The CEL came up after the alternator went out, I fixed the alternator and the CEL went off. I managed to pull a code P0175 which I guess means bank 2 is running rich, which is no surprise to me. The plugs on that side have a bunch of fuel on them. I think cylinders 3 and 5 are the backfire cylinders as the plugs are a bit black.
I had the mechanic check it out again, this time a little more in depth. He asked me to drive him around the block with the Modis connected, we got as far as backing up a few feet and he told me to just pull it back up since he could tell it was running horrible. He told me to check compression because he thinks a valve is bad.
I checked compression twice, all cylinders are between 148-150 PSI. Bad compression would mean either a valve or ring, correct? I'm kinda stumped until I talk with the mechanic again. Thanks.

Last edited by codyyy; 03-03-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 02 Dakota popping noise from engine