2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Is there a DIY way to remove fan clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 PM
BlueQC
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a DIY way to remove fan clutch

Is there a way to remove the fan clutch backyard/ shadetree/redneck style? I don't have a 36mm wrench buy I do have access to a 1-7/16ths at work I figure it could be something I could do on my "coffee break". I was told it is a 10 minute job.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Autozone rent a tool my man

Autozone rent a tool my man they should have it or one of the other auto places.

I was suprized also but I was asking about large MM sockets and they said no need to buy rent from us.

This may of been Orilley not autozone

Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When I did mine I used the free loan a tool kit from Auto Zone but it did not work very well for me. What I did was put two bolts into the holes on the front of my water pump pulley and used the large spanner wrench from the kit to hold across the heads of the bolts, it kept the pulley still so I could use an adjustable wrench to loosen the fan clutch nut. It did not take much effort to loosen it that first time.

Some have had success with putting a c-clamp or vise grips on the water pump pulley to hold it still, then put a big adjustable wrench on the fan clutch nut so the handle points straight up and use a hammer to whack the end of the wrench towards the passenger side of the truck, it should pop the nut loose. If your fan is like mine, there is a space between two of the blades that is wider than the others. It may help to turn the fan so the wide space is facing up, it will give you more room to work.

After you remove the fan clutch nut the first time, if you ever have to do it again, all it should take is a big adjustable wrench and a few whacks with a medium sized hammer.

Jimmy

Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have the "redneck" way covered... All I did was grab a crescent wrench and put it on the nut, and pushed down pretty hard on the belt with my hand. And it broke loose no problem.

But, this fan clutch was not original... It's a replacement I put on like a year ago. When I took off the first one, I forget what I did but I didn't try it the way I did it the second time.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 PM
eagle7
Amateur

I heard that it's ok to run the truck without the fan installed at all. Is it true? I know on my truck, the main fan never even comes on except when I first start it sometimes.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:07 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a big set of 16" channel locks to get my fan off, unfortunately mine was very tight and my thumb has the scar to prove it. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A pair of channel locks and either straight pliers or vise grips is how I got mine off...I know I've posted a pic on here before if you do some searching maybe it would come up. I've also run mine now over 2 years, stop and go, highway, hot, cold and its never once been a problem without it.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:09 AM
keg97
Amateur

The easy way is to use a air chisel, hit the nut counter clock wise and it will loosen it right up.

Quick Reply: Is there a DIY way to remove fan clutch