2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P0113

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:04 PM
00daksport25
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0113

I got this code last night when I turned my truck on. P0113, IAT High Input Circuit. What would cause that code to pop up? I just replaced it about a week ago and it was fine until last night. Any ideas?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you unhook your battery to clear the code?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:35 PM
00daksport25
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes and it keeps coming back. The truck seems to run fine though.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default This is what I found

I found this I just cut and pasted it I dont take any credit

P0113 = Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

What does that mean?

The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the temperature of the air entering the engine. The PCM supplies a 5 volt reference voltage to the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor. The IAT is a thermistor that varies resistance based on temperature. As the temperature increases, resistance decreases. Low temperature results in a high signal voltage. When the PCM sees a signal voltage higher than 5 volts, it sets this P0113 check engine light code.

Potential Symptoms

There will likely be no symptoms other than illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL - Check Engine Light / Service Engine Soon).

Causes

A code P0113 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

•Internally failed IAT sensor
•Faulty connection at IAT sensor
•Open in IAT ground circuit or signal circuit
•Short to voltage in IAT signal circuit or reference circuit
•IAT harness and/or wiring routed too close to high-voltage wiring (e.g. alternator, spark plug cables, etc.)
•Faulty PCM (less likely but not impossible)

Possible Solutions

First, if you have access to a scan tool, is there an IAT reading? If the IAT reading is logical then the problem is likely intermittent. If the reading is less than -30 degrees, unplug the connector. Install a jumper wire between the harness connector signal and ground circuits. The IAT temperature reading on the scan tool should be maxed out at the high end. For example it should be 280 degrees Farenheit or higher. If it is, the wiring is okay, and it may have been the connection. If it isn't install the jumper wire between the IAT signal circuit and the chassis ground. If now the IAT reading on the scan tool is maxed out then check for an open in the IAT ground circuit. If you get no reading at all on the scan tool, it's likely that the sensor signal is open or the 5 volt reference is missing. Check using a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) for a 5 volt reference. If it's there, then unplug the connector at the PCM and check for continuity on the IAT signal circuit between the PCM connector and the IAT connector.

Quick Reply: P0113