2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Factory Infinity Sound to be Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Dutch283
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Infinity Sound to be Replaced

Ok so I have been looking everywhere for information on what stuff would be best to put in my 2002 Dakota SLT Quad Cab. I have a list of what I would like to install in it but am not sure what would fit/be best. My budget is $1500 at most. I also do not plan on installing the system myself, so off to the pros. Any suggestions as to who to see in Connecticut for installation would be appreciated.

Receiver:
Pioneer DEH-P9400BH - $229.99

Front/Rear Tweeters + Midrange:
Pioneer TS-G1643R - 2 sets (front/rear) at $39.99 ea.

Subwoofer/Amp:
This is where I am having problems. I was thinking MTX Amplified Thunderforms (vehicle specific).

For the Sub/Amp I really do not want to remove seating. If my only choice involved modifying the seating, i'd remove the center seat.

Help me figure this out.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum..

It is hard to answer your questions. Pioneer does make some good decks, but I personally have never been too crazy about their speakers. The lower priced ones always seemed kind of weak and thin sounding, but that is just my opinion. Personally I really like Kicker speakers, they are a very good bang for the buck and you can get them at a good price if you shop around. I have 2 pairs of Kicker KS60's in my truck, they sound great and only cost me $130.00 shipped for both pairs. I saw them on the Crutchfield website, went to a Best Buy store and compared them to a few other brands and the Kickers sounded best. Best Buy sells the KS60 for $100.00 per pair, and they would not match an online retailer's price. Crutchfield had them on sale for $75.00 a pair, plus I used an online $20.00 off coupon.

Alpine makes good speakers too, nice and bright, with clean mids and highs, fairly good bass. Polk Audio is good if you like more lower end mids and bass. JL Audio makes a nice sounding speaker too but they are more expensive.

The best way to decide on speakers is to audition different ones at a stereo store or Best Buy. Take some CD's or a flash drive with music you like and spend time listening. Get the ones that sound best to you that you can afford. Or do it cheap like I did, check out the speakers in a regular store, then buy online if the store won't match online prices. Crutchfield has always treated me right. Sonic Electronix has good prices too. Both usually have free shipping.

My favorite sub right now is the Alpine SWE-1043. I have one in my truck and it sounds great, pounds hard and has good tight and very musical bass response. Apine recommends a 1.0 cubic foot enclosure for it, but I used the .75 cubic foot box I already had and stuffed it with Polyfill to make it seem bigger than it is. That Alpine is the best sounding 10" sub I have ever heard. And I got it on clearance at Best Buy, it only cost me $33.00. You have a quad cab, I don't know a lot about adding subs in those, my truck is a club cab. I know some guys here have had good luck with the MTX Thunderforms for a QC but they are expensive. Maybe see if JL Audio still makes a Stealth Box for your truck. The Stealth Box replaces the center seat cushion with an enclosure with either an 8" or 10" sub firing down. Those are OK, but very expensive, they take a butt-load of power to sound good and they are a PITA to install. They sound pretty good with enough power though.

There are a lot of opinions on amplifiers too. I like Kicker amps. They are good and loud, reasonably priced and they last a long time as long as they are not abused. I use an old Kicker KX350.4 75 watts per channel Kicker amp and it sounds good and loud when I want it and also sounds good at low volume too.

I don't know of any installers up in Connecticut, but it is not hard at all to do a basic system in a Dakota. If you have at least some mechanical aptitude and the tools for the job and a dry, well-lit space to do the work, maybe consider doing the job yourself and saving some money. Lots of us here have done our own systems and can help if needed. If you buy from Crutchfield they send these instruction sheets that tell you how to install your deck, speakers, etc. I have seen them and they are pretty accurate I guess but I tend to take things apart more than I need to sometimes.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 03-03-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 PM
ebrperk
Rookie

I agree, Crutchfield is the way to go and I personally like Alpine, My deck and speakers sound great, plenty of bass, mids and highs. Go to Best Buy and listen to them, then order from crutchfield. they send you the instructions on how to install, the single DIN kit, wiring harness adapter so you don't have to cut into your factory wiring, and the antenna adapter. The console is pretty easy to get off on our trucks and if you run into trouble or have questions their tech staff is always there to answer you questions. I have used Crutchfield several times over the last fifteen years and have always been taken care of

Old 03-03-2012, 12:46 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Yep I agree too, Crutchfield has the best customer service I have ever seen. I am still trying to find the right sound in my truck, I have had 3 different decks in the last 5 or 6 months. I had an older Alpine that I sold to another guy here on the forum when I wanted to try one of the new Sony DSX Digital Media Players. That one did not work out too well for me so I bought another Alpine deck off of Ebay, it was the same model as I had before with the same Ipod interface. Last year I decided to try using flash drives with MP3's instead of my Ipod so I sold my Alpine on Ebay and bought a lower level Pioneer DEH-4300 from Crutchfield. It was OK but still did not have the same sound quality I wanted. I returned that one to Crutchfield and bought this Kenwood Excelon 395:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX...5.html?tp=5684

The Kenwood is better than the Pioneer but I have gotten to where I don't like the MP3 format, my Ipod sounds better. MP3's just don't have the same mids and highs as Ipod AAC files do. I can play my Ipod into the Kenwood but the USB is on the front of the deck and I don't like the cord hanging down from the dash, especially since I have a 5-speed, it would get in the way when I am shifting gears. I looked at it and figured I could use a small file and round out a notch in the side of the radio mounting kit and sandwich the Ipod cord between the edge of the kit and inside edge of the opening in the dash for the radio, but I don't really want to do that either.

What I really wanted was another deck that has a rear-mounted USB. They don't make too many of those right now, most decks have front USB and aux jacks so you can use a variety of music players. I just wanted to be able to stash my Ipod back in the glove box and control it from the deck and have a clean deck install in the dash. JVC has a couple of decks that do have the rear USB. I just ordered this one here from Crutchfield today:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR7...d%7cJVC+Mobile

JVC has another new KDR730BT (it's on Crutchfield's site now too) deck with rear USB but it has a bunch of Blue Tooth crap I will never use, plus it does not have as many adjustments for the treble response as the KDR720.

I believe the KDR-720 will do the trick. It has a lot more tone control over the mids and highs and it has the rear USB, plus a front USB if I ever do want to use my flash drives or my girlfriend's Ipod. I read the owner's manual for it online, and I think I will be happy with the tone controls on the JVC. I must be losing some of my high frequency hearing as I get older. Just in case the JVC does not have the tone control and sound I want, I have also ordered this passive equalizer from onlinecarstereo.com:

http://www.soundstormlab.com/main/536

I have no idea on the quality of this Soundstorm EQ. It will be here on Monday and I guess I will find out then. I did read some good reviews on it online. It only cost $25.00 but looking at the prices of EQ's now, none of them are really very expensive any more. The one I bought runs from $22.00 on up to about $50.00 online, depending on what site you buy it from. I got that one because it is 7 bands instead of 4 or 5 and I prefer slide controls over dials. Maybe I won't need it, but I will have it on hand if I do. Back when I had my old Alpine deck I also had a Clarion 7 band passive EQ stashed away in the glove box. It developed a bad background hissing noise so I removed it and just ran my deck straight to my amp.

Provided this new JVC and possibly the EQ works out, I will be selling that Kenwood 395 on Ebay. It's a real good deck and has a sweet sound to it, but I need better control over the mids and highs in my system. I may list the Kenwood here or post a link once I have it on Ebay.

I used the online discount code 3A825 and saved $20.00 on each of the 3 decks I have ordered from Crutchfield. I had a few questions about my new JVC deck so I called Crutchfield today and ordered it on the phone and they also applied the $20.00 online discount to my phone order too. This is all probably too much information but Crutchfield does have great prices and great service. I have never used Sonic Electronix but have heard that they are very good too.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 03-03-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Dutch283

Ok, so i guess pioneer is not the best. some of the requirements i had for the receiver were; Bluetooth streaming, removable face, CD, USB input (front/back didn't matter), changeable color lighting, remote, 6-channel preamp outputs, Satellite/HD radio. IPod compatibility is a sub-requirement.

The mids/tweeters have to fit in the space occupied by the factory mids/highs. the sub/amp need to be able to fit under/behind the back seat.

I guess i have lots of research to do judging from your guys advice.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Dutch283

Originally Posted by Dutch283
Ok, so i guess pioneer is not the best. some of the requirements i had for the receiver were; Bluetooth streaming, removable face, CD, USB input (front/back didn't matter), changeable color lighting, remote, 6-channel preamp outputs, Satellite/HD radio. IPod compatibility is a sub-requirement.

The mids/tweeters have to fit in the space occupied by the factory mids/highs. the sub/amp need to be able to fit under/behind the back seat.

I guess i have lots of research to do judging from your guys advice.

I have done A Lot of research (internet-based, reviews, etc.). Now my original budget is unrealistic for good sound. The cart I have on Crutchfield right now is $1677.44. I am probably missing some small things like wires/connectors, so i am looking for help to find these missing items.

Kicker IX1000.5 - $649.99
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996 - $299.99
Kicker DS6.2 - $149.99 per pair
MTX Thunderforms - $297.49
Kicker 09PK4 Power Wiring Kit - $129.99

I have lots of speaker wire and an assortment of connectors at home just need help with the item specific parts.

Would a capacitor be a wise part to buy because I saw a few different ones under the accessories tab when looking at the Kicker IX1000.5 on Crutchfield. The little description said "would help regulate power usage", so does a capacitor matter?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all here but I will try to give you some info that might help you decide what components to buy. Unless having a front to rear fader control is very important to you, you really don't need a $600.00 5-channel amp. You could get great sound by using a 4 channel amp and wiring the front outputs to the mids and highs. You can just wire left front and left rear together in parallel, do the same for the right side speakers and it will increase the amp's output power by about 30% to 40% depending on the amp's specs. With the balance set dead center, you will still hear all 4 speakers anyway, just the same as if you had the 5 channel amp with dedicated front and rear outputs. You can just use the rear outputs bridged to your sub and it would have plenty of power. I like this amp here, it is at Sonic Electronix:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...11ZX350.4.html

That one would do fine, it would drive all the mids and highs and the sub too. It would be good and loud when you want it and it only costs $249.00, less than half the price of the 5-channel amp. Plus you would not need to spend even more money on a 4 gauge power wire kit and the amp has its own fuses so there would be no need for a distribution/fuse block setup. I would be leery of an amp that has no fuses (like that 5-channel amp).

The Kicker ZX350.4 is only rated at 40 amps of current draw, so there should be no need for any power capacitors. The only time you would possibly need a cap is if you have such a heavy current draw from your system that it makes the headlights dim or blink every time the bass hits a good lick. Caps can make the amp sound a bit better in dynamic music passages but they really are not needed for good quality sound. Just be sure you have a good strong battery and the alternator is working OK and there should be no need for any stiffening caps, unless you are running multiple amps or an amp like that 5-channel that is rated at 100 amps of current draw, or you are drawing some other crazy amount of current. Dakota's have a 117 amp alternator, some have a 136 amp alternator, either one of those is fine for a normal listenable system.

Sonic Electronix says on their site they offer discounts on amp wiring kits when you buy your amp from them. You can buy an 8 gauge wire kit at Walmart probably for less than $30.00. When it comes to wire kits, they are all pretty much the same, just be sure it is from a good brand name and it will do fine but you need not spend $130.00 on power wire unless your system draws a ton of current.

The DS-62 is a good choice for speakers but there is no real need for 2 pairs, put one set of DS62's in the front doors and just put a good coaxial like the KS60 in the rear doors. It will save you money and be easier to install too, and will sound about the same as if you had splits in all 4 doors. Crutchfield sends free speaker wire harnesses and free hard plastic mounting adapter plates with their speakers. I do not like the plastic mounting plates. I made my own mounting plates out of 1/2" medium density fiberboard. It sounds better than plastic because mdf will not rattle or resonate, plus it is a much more stable and sturdy method of mounting the speaker in the door. I like my Kicker KS60's a lot, and I posted about them here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...with-pics.html

That Kenwood deck you picked out has a lot of good features and it has the Blue Tooth functions you need. The deck needs to meet your preferences, but I am not wild about time alignment on a car system. I had an Alpine deck some years ago that had time alignment and I did not like it much. I turned that function off, it was just too complicated and did not really do much for the sound. The main things I look for in a deck are good sound quality and ease of operation while driving.

This is just a bit of info and my own opinions on what you are looking to buy. There are a lot of other choices and opinions out there. Have you talked to the technical guys at Crutchfield about the components you have picked out? They have a good staff there and they may be able to give you better advice on which ones to buy. Personally I like to keep it simple to operate while driving and spend as little cash as possible.

Jimmy

Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Dutch283

So I guess the next stage of this is to talk with the techs at Crutchfield and let them help me decide what specific stuff I need. I really like that Kenwood deck though, good reviews and the price is not that bad. The DS62 are great from the reviews I read, so 2 pairs really doesn't bother me. The $600 amp is bothering though but I don't need front/back control just side to side really so I understand what you are saying. Looks like more browsing of Crutchfield for amps is required.

Do online retailers' pricing of these things vary a lot? If not I think I'll stick with Crutchfield based on their customer service and experience.

Still lots of thanks for the help.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:43 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sonic also had a forum you can discuss with car audio enthusiast as well as advisers that can help you choose what your looking for. I've bought from Crutchfield back in the day.. they are an ok company.. I like their RMA process.. but they often charge you the same as if you went into Car Toys or Best Buy or some other car audio shop.

I've delt with Sonic and could not be happier with them and their service. Got some good equipment from them at insane low price compaired to what Crutchfield is gonna charge (Most of the time) plus they throw in the extra like free Deck kits and stuff like that now like Crutchfield does.. That's what I look for.. Look at what Sonic is gonna give you free with product X and what Crutchfield will give.. or if Sonic doesnt.. add up what it will cost to do the project with sonic's freebies and anything you have to buy.. vs. Crutchfield and their freebies and go with the one that is most economical.

Just throwing my 2 cents out there. I hardly buy anything from Crutchfield anymore unless they have a deal i cant get somewhere else.. and i really really want it.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Crutchfield does not sell any Kicker 4-channel amps. I don't know why. Maybe it is because there are a lot of other online stores that do. Sonic Electronix has a great selection of Kicker amps at good prices. I guess you have to shop the different sites for the best price. Sometimes they are all the same, I see that sometimes with head units and speakers, but the prices can be different from one site to another.

One thing I do before buying anything online is check www.retailmenot.com for an online discount code. I have used the Crutchfield $20.00 off coupon 3 times now and it seems to always be available. In fact, the way I would do it if I were buying a whole system like you are doing, is I would order it in partial orders. If the Crutchfield site allows it, I would split the total cost of the system up into 3 or 4 separate smaller orders and use the $20.00 discount code on each order to save more money on the total price. I have done that several times with the online discount codes at Advance Auto Parts.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Factory Infinity Sound to be Replaced