2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oil pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:07 PM
halfpint
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump problems

Hello guys I just bought a 2001 dakota 4x4 with the 5.9 V8 Quad Cab a week ago . I started home with it and when i pulled in my driveway the oil pressure dropped to 0 . I shut it off and went back out 30 minutes later and started it up and the oil pressure went up to about 40 so i drove it around the block ( a country block) . When I started back home ( got the motor up to operating temp) i got half mile from the house the oil pressue dropped again to 0. I've change the oil pressure switch / sensor and I' still having trouble . I talked to a few mechanic around and they all said it was the oil pump or the oil pump screen and pickup tube blocked . They all said they have worked on a few 5.9 magnum that has had that problem. They told me the only way to remove the oil pan is to pull the motor. My question is do any of ya'll have better way to pull the oil pan beside pull the motor all the way out ?

Can I raise the motor up high enough in the truck to pull the oil pan ?or can i lower the front axle with out taking the cv axles out low enough? or can i do both? Bcecause i really don't want to pull the motor , I will if I have to if that is the last and only resort.

Thank you for your help and suggestions!!

Quick Reply: Oil pump problems