2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

You Don't See This Everyday! - Or Do You

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 PM
gwat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You Don't See This Everyday! - Or Do You

So the transfer case in my 2000 Dakota has been making funny sounds for a while. The u-joints in the front driveshaft were toast, so I took it to my mechanic last week for a fluid change and u-joint replacement, hoping that would make the tcase sound better.
He took it for a test drive and this is what happened. Wow. Dented frame, torn fuel and brake lines, dented floor boards, crushed clutch cylinder, blown up driveshaft.
Apparently the '00 uses a unique transfer case? Apparently rare here in BC, the only one the mechanic can find is from an automatic (my truck is manual). He *thinks it will work. Considering it's gotta be freighted from 14 hours away, is it worth pursuing the tcase from the auto. Or do we need to keep looking for a manual tcase?
Also, anything special about the fuel line? He says he can splice in a piece of high pressure hose with clamps. Is this gonna work or should I have the complete line replaced?
Any opinions on aftermarket clutch cylinders? Or is it worth the extra$$ for a mopar?
Such a bummer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tcase.jpg (86.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Xxaler
Professional

Happens more often than you think!

Guy must have been beating the **** out of it to get it to break, when you could have just dropped it out and done bearings and a new chain for a few hundred now you're looking at least a grand.

What engine do you have? 4.7/3.9 = NV231 which isn't too rare, and it is interchangeable through automatic/manual of that year if it's the electronically switching TC.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default That’s some serious damage

Did you look here for a replacement? http://www.car-part.com/

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 03-24-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:13 PM
gwat

Thanks for the link. They're a little cheaper on the east coast, shipping could be killer though.
4x4 is engaged by stick, not electric. So the auto tcase won't work?

Old 03-24-2012, 04:20 PM
gwat

4.7 engine

Old 03-25-2012, 05:54 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

Dang, that looks about what mine looked like when it blew apart going down the freeway at 75mph. Luckily for me it do a lot of damage under my truck. The front shaft was the cause of mine so I got it rebuilt at the same time. I would definitively make sure to get a case that has at least a year warranty on it.

Quick Reply: You Don't See This Everyday! - Or Do You