2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear Leaf Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Leaf Springs

I'm fitting some air-bags in preparation for towing my 5th-wheel camper. I've been told that they need to kept inflated to at least 10psi, even when running empty. I've worked out that with 10psi in them, they be adding about 700lbs of extra spring rate to an already hard back end.

My question is: can I safely remove the lower spring from the pack of 4 leaves. Its the thickest but its also the only one that isn't clipped to the other springs, therefore looks the easiest to remove.

There looks like there's a bolt running through all of the leaves in the middle but its not clear. I'm hoping just to drop the axle enough to pull the leaf out, without removing it (the axle) compleatly.

Hoping to hear from anyone who's either fitted air-bags or changed the rear leaves. Is the lower spring firmly fixed to the others and did you make a spacer to replace the (aprox 1/2") thickness lost from the leaf pack which will cause the truck to sit that much lower. NOT my intention!

Thanks, W.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can remove the helper leaf spring, thats one way to lower the rear end of a 4x4. wont do much harm.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:20 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Thunder. Do you know if they are all bolted together? I know the top three springs are joined by clips along their length but it looks like theres a bolt going through them all in the middle. There appears to be the top of a bolt on the top of the top spring but its hard to see the head of the bolt as its hidden on the underside of the spring.

What I need to know is if I undo the u-bolts holding spring to axle and lower the axle a little will the lower, helper spring just come off or is there a bolt running through them all that will need to be removed before the helper spring comes out.

The reason I ask is that if I can lower the axle just enough to pull the helper spring out, I won't need to disconnect all the brake lines/cables. If I need to drop it low enough to get at that bolt, I might have to disconnect all that stuff and re-bleed everything.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 AM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you look on dodge talk . com there is a DIY helper spring removal. Im cant exactly remember how to do it, but there is a pin that goes through all the leafs.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking to carry that kind of weight i dont recommend removing the "load leaf". Yes you will have to take the u-bolts loose and clamp the other leaves together before removing the center pin(the bolt you speak of) which is what holds the leaves together and the head of the bolt rides in a hole in the axle spring plate. You will have to jack the whole back of the truck up to take the weight off of the axle. The load leaf being removed would lower the carrying capacity of your truck by a decent bit. I know you have airbags but im not sure how much these will add to the capacity.

Quick Reply: Rear Leaf Springs