2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help-Electric Fan Controller Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help-Electric Fan Controller Wiring

Hey guys; need a little input here I'm planning on doing the electric fan upgrade to an HHR fan and getting rid of my fac Clutch; I'm reading up on the product I will use;

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/31147-99936.pdf

and I need a little help in determining where a good power source controlled by the on/off of the vehicle might be if anyone knew so i wouldn't spend forever and a day hunting for a reliable one that is capable of handling 20amps.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 PM
5hundo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, when I've done electric fan installs in the past, I usually just hook mine directly to the battery. That way, the fan will keep blowing, even if the engine is off. Believe it, or not, engines actually heat up initially after the ignition is turned off, due to the coolant not being circulated anymore. If the fan can get rid of the heat in the radiator after I shut down, it could be a little bit easier on my engine...

In reality, the fan is not going to draw enough of a load to kill your battery after you've shut the ignition off anyway, so I really wouldn't worry about finding an ignition lead and wiring into it. The only drawback is the occasional idiot who tells you "Your car is still running!!" but just ignore them...

Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah I know about the heat build up... it's great to keep the engine from getting hotter but my truck never gets over 200 when its turned off.. if it's really hot it will climb to about 210 but thats not that bad..

My thing is i run a high end audio system and really dont need the fan pulling that extra juice.. alt has a hard enough time as it is.. thanks for the information; I'm still searching the truck for a suitable source.. in case anyone knows of one.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 AM
keg97
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a wire through the firewall and hooked it to the ignition switch.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:21 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Alright thanks for the feedback... I'll be checking out my options

Quick Reply: Help-Electric Fan Controller Wiring