2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7 dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 PM
gassmann66
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 dual exhaust

Im looking for a dual exhaust for my truck(2000 dakota 4.7), not looking to spend a bunch of money but want to see all my options. seen a 98 with the 5.2 he had a dual exhaust from flowmaster and sounded amazing, looking for loud deep sound any advice would be helpful

Old 04-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Jhop16
Rookie

i got a duel cherry bomb exhaust on my 4.7 , sounds awsome, its got a nice crackle to it, if you want more of a smoooth sound go with the flowmaster

Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 AM
macgollabhride
Professional

I purchased a Magnaflow 15735 97-99 for $325 for my Dakota shortly after I bought my truck. It was the best price I could find for a dual exhaust that I wanted. I had enough problems with it that I had to return it, and I'm the type of person that will MAKE something work.
Here in PA, we have to run oxygen sensors but this exhaust didn't have hole/bosses for 02s. The other problem was with the driver's side tail pipe. My hitch was in the way and
the tail pipe would not route properly. I need my hitch but just for kicks, I removed it to see if that was the only problem but it it still wouldn't route correctly.
I was pretty disappointed.

I was especially
disappointed after I priced-out the work of getting bosses welded on and to have the tail pipe re-bent. Moneys added-up and the fact that I wasn't going to remove the Y-pipe off the manifolds to run a true/worth-while dual exhaust, it just wasn't worth it for me to go forward with it.

I wound-up going with the following:
Dynomax 17219 Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler (2.5")
Magnaflow 15031 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tail Pipe (2.5" I/O)
Hundred bucks & change shipped/installed.

Everybody has their own preferences but this worked out incredibly well for me. It sounds great! Not obnoxiously loud but very throaty and mean.

I'm not trying to discourage you but if you're not going to run a true dual from the manifolds, I wouldn't waste your time of money.

I hope that was helpful and good luck!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
gassmann66
Amateur

thanks for the imput! I think its time to replace the manifolds anyway ive read that the 4.7 tick is usually caused by the manifolds and mines seems to do that until it warms up. so warped manifolds is a prefect excuse for new headers! but again i dont want to break the bank im still a student

Old 04-09-2012, 02:42 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

Ive got the 4.7 in my Dak and I have to say. As a automotive service technician for one of the nations leaders in exhaust... ive heard almost all of them. Ive had cherry bombs on my truck, glass packs, magnaflow... Currently I have a series 40 flowmaster with the secondary cat delete... I absolutely LOVE the sound...nice suttle tone at cruise and loud roar when I stick my foot off in it. Due to the nature of our trucks, running a true duel setup isnt impossible, but you probably wont find some one to do it for what you are asking... Need to look around for the sound that you like... Id be more then happy to post a vid of mine..

Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
5hundo
Professional

I've been wanting to ask the same question myself. My muffler is starting to leak, after 9 years of use. I'm guessing I should replace it before too long.

I was thinking about high-flow cats and and a dual "Cat-back" system (I'm in California ). I was always curious what would work best on the 4.7L...

Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 PM
gassmann66
Amateur

Ive got the 4.7 in my Dak and I have to say. As a automotive service technician for one of the nations leaders in exhaust... ive heard almost all of them. Ive had cherry bombs on my truck, glass packs, magnaflow... Currently I have a series 40 flowmaster with the secondary cat delete... I absolutely LOVE the sound...nice suttle tone at cruise and loud roar when I stick my foot off in it. Due to the nature of our trucks, running a true duel setup isnt impossible, but you probably wont find some one to do it for what you are asking... Need to look around for the sound that you like... Id be more then happy to post a vid of mine..
yes a video would be greatly appreciated, for the set up your running what would i have to get? im currently running stock, but im not real great with the exhaust terms cause i havent really delt with them before. any links approx costs would be very helpful!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 AM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

Pick and choose your battles...$h!t adds up QUICKLY when you pull apart something that doesn't really need to be messed with.
Again, not trying to discourage you.
I've learned a whole lot through my own adventures (much success/ tremendous failures) and just as much from the folks on this forum.

Pick and choose your battles.

Originally Posted by gassmann66
thanks for the imput! I think its time to replace the manifolds anyway ive read that the 4.7 tick is usually caused by the manifolds and mines seems to do that until it warms up. so warped manifolds is a prefect excuse for new headers! but again i dont want to break the bank im still a student

Old 04-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Xxaler
Professional

If you want cheap, deep, loud, and devoid of the straight-pipe crackle: Get a flowmaster 40/44, a turn-down of appropriate pipe size (or just a 45 degree cut piece), a saw-z-all, an exhaust clamp, and an exhaust hanger.

Chop off just infront of the old muffler, put on new muffler, clamp it, slap turn-down/45 on output end, bolt hanger to turn down/45, then to a crossmember.

Seriously, costs next to nothing, passes safety, and sounds ****ing AMAZING. The exhaust notes bounce off the ground, back to the bed, ground, bed, ground. I'll post a video sometime of mine, but just search 4.7l dumped flowmaster and you'll get some similar stuff.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:55 PM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have stock pipe to the muffler. Single in double out and 3.5in tips. Muffler is Flowmaster 40 series. Sounds deep and smooth.

Quick Reply: 4.7 dual exhaust