2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 dakota need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 AM
polaris900
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 dakota need help

hello,

I have a 99 dakota 5.2l auto. It is hard to start, you have to pump the gas pedal to start it. after it starts if you hit the gas hard it will bog out, no power.

I have changed the plugs, wire, distributor cap and button, fuel pump.

not getting any codes, check complete harness, check map, iac, tps, cam shaft, crank shaft, coolant sensor.

any help would be great
thanks

Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

I WAS having some hesitation when starting my truck and I was also finding that my Dakota sounded like it was about to stall when backing up.
Last week, I took out my throttle body, thoroughly cleaned it with Sea Foam and replaced the MAP sensor. Now, my truck starts right-up (very-very quickly) and the almost stalling sensation is gone. It idles smooth as glass and I also feel a bit more get-up and go. Helped me out considerably!

This probably won't completely fix whats happening with your Dakota but it certainly can't hurt to start there. It's a really easy thing to do and it can only help.

Hope this is a help and good luck.

Last edited by macgollabhride; 04-11-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:47 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by polaris900
hello,

I have a 99 dakota 5.2l auto. It is hard to start, you have to pump the gas pedal to start it. after it starts if you hit the gas hard it will bog out, no power.

I have changed the plugs, wire, distributor cap and button, fuel pump.
Did you change the fuel filter? Maybe clogged injectors and/or dirty TB.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:47 PM
polaris900

changed the filter, also getting misfire on 2,4,6,8 cylinder. checked map sensor seems to be ok. the engine bogs out and will die if you keep the throttle open

Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM
polaris900

done compression test #5 cylinder has 125psi the rest are between 145-165psi. any ideas on what could be causing this and what to check

Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb #5 cylinder has 125psi

#5 cylinder has 125psi

For this I recommend popping off all your S-Plugs and pouring into the cylinders some MMO Magic Marvel oil about 3 ounces in each let sit for two hours come back then turn over your engine a few times NO S-Plugs all you are doing is getting the MMO down into the cylinders and rings.

For best results shut down your fuel pump if you can but I didn’t and this helped with restoring my psi.

Now repeat same do this three times then let sit for a whole day put S-Plugs back in and start up.

What this does is clean up the rings and free any stuck rings and hopefully gain back your cylinder psi.

Another good thing to do is put some MMO in your crank case for one or two oil change cycles read the instruction on the bottle.

Do the same with your gas ad to gas tank read instructions on the bottle.

Be aware you will now have the MMO in your crank case it will seep past the pistons into the case so your oil level may be up now if it was low it may now be right on just let it be, if that’s the case let it run through the engine for an oil change.

As far as you’re misfiring cant say if it will help but you could get back some psi in your engine

Oh and a warning DO at YOUR OWN RISK

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-14-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation Let me clarify my warning

Let me clarify my warning if any MMO is still present in the piston chamber when you try to fire the engine back up could be very disastrous to the engine it is imperative that all the MMO has seeped past the pistons.

That’s why you need it to sit for a day or two and let all the MMO seep past the pistons cranking it ever so often throughout the day will help get the MMO past the pistons. NO PLUGS

Remember NO Spark-Plugs during this letting the MMO seep past the rings.

Quick Reply: 99 dakota need help