2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Dakota 5.2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Problems

Hey, I have a 97 Dakota and when my truck has been off for the night or a long period of time it takes it a bit to go into reverse, like it wines up then you here a clunk, i have no lights on my dash, ive replaced all the sensors and filters, ect, and also if i dont put my truck into reverse 1st when its cold my truck takes forever to go from 2nd into 3rd, but when the fluid is warm it shift like its brand new, reverse and through all the forward gears, i was wondering if this is a torque converter problem or something small? Im stumped so any help would be nice,

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check fluid level, if you haven't yet.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Dakota 5.2

Ive checked the fluids in everything, everything is good. i dont understand it.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 AM
dakotaguy1994
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dakota 5.2
Hey, I have a 97 Dakota and when my truck has been off for the night or a long period of time it takes it a bit to go into reverse, like it wines up then you here a clunk, i have no lights on my dash, ive replaced all the sensors and filters, ect, and also if i dont put my truck into reverse 1st when its cold my truck takes forever to go from 2nd into 3rd, but when the fluid is warm it shift like its brand new, reverse and through all the forward gears, i was wondering if this is a torque converter problem or something small? Im stumped so any help would be nice,

Thanks.
I have same problem, took to my local trans shop they said dodge made then trans like **** amd if u want it fixed do a complete overhaul, just let t get warm

Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Dakota 5.2

alright, thanks for the input, looks like i may be buying a new transmission.

Quick Reply: Tranny Problems