2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

This time it is for real... I hope.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Jrgood1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This time it is for real... I hope.

The shop had my truck for about a month, but I have had it back almost a week and it seems like its fixed. So far it hasn't cut off on me. I still get the abs and brake light from time to time. From what I understand it's likely It is the speed sensor on the rear axle. This is just a picture of me picking up the trailer Sunday.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/...od78/truck.jpg

Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

Good luck with it Brotha'. Something(s) is always going wrong with Dakota so I feel your pain.

...I don't think my rear speed sensor is even connected
No other lights on except for my CEL but I know why that's on.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Jrgood1

It took them a month to figure out what I told them on day one.. I was the ecm. I thought the abs and brake lights were connected to the truck cutting off somehow. Probably not, but it just seemed like it would cut off only after those lights. Even now they only seem to come on after the truck has run for a while. They only come on when I start the truck, not while I am driving. I am just happy it is running though.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

Totally blows that your truck was tied up for that long but hopefully 50% to 60% of that time was honest thought in getting it done right. I hope that's the case.
You got me thinking more about swapping out my ECM...I have way too many weird/bizarre'O issues with my Dakota - too many.

Mind if I ask how much you paid for your ECM? I found used ones for $160 but I'd rather start a'new.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Jrgood1

The ecm was cracked. Believe it or not it was covered under a warranty.(that's a long story) They got a used computer. Had it programmed, with some updates so I was told. $500 all total, just for that. They replaced something behind the gauge cluster (there is a bulletin from dodge about that) and fixed some damaged wires.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Jrgood1

Oh, btw, If you look around you can find a new ecm for about $300 or less. And I believe they have a lifetime warranty.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

Your ECM was covered for your 99' Dakota?! Previous owner's extended warranty? Regardless, that is one hell-of-a treasure chest of luck! Figuring mine was/is SOL, I never bothered to look at the possible recalls and the like but I certainly will look into it tomorrow.
Unless it's certified or guaranteed, I'd rather stay away from used but $300 for a new ECM isn't a bad gamble.

Last edited by macgollabhride; 04-26-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: This time it is for real... I hope.