2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My Blue Magic Headlight Restorer Review

Old 05-06-2012, 03:45 PM
priceman14
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Blue Magic Headlight Restorer Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6211hSOaY

I recently tested this out on my 98 dakota and I thought I'd share my thoughts on it on this forum, as I'm sure some of you have seen it at an auto parts store (I've seen it at Advanced) and wondered if it's any good, for $5.

The headlights on my Dakota were kind of messed up. The upper half of each light was yellowed, while the lower half was clear, but had some small chips. I think this is because the protective acrylic applied at the factory had chipped off of the top half only, causing the plastic underneath to turn yellow.

To get right to the point, this stuff DOES WORK, but it will not restore your headlights to factory-new condition.

When I used it on my headlights and foglights, I got good results, but using it by hand with a clean cloth and with some small buffer attachments on a power drill.

It removed about 80-90% of the cloudiness on the foglights and did about the same on the headlights.

It game my headlights a consistent clarity from top to bottom, despite the fact that each half was 'different' as I said above.

When looked at up close, the imperfections in my headlights are still visible, but from only a few feet away, they look almost new!

**But** it's important that you buy the Blue Magic sealer as well, as that stuff will prevent the headlights from turning yellow again. I sprayed it on the headlights and fogs and I'll keep a close eye on them and let you all know if the sealer does its job.

The video below contains basically a recap of all I said here, along with several pictures. Unfortunately, most of the imperfections in my headlights didn't show up on my camera, so the before and after pics don't look really different, but I vouch that in person they DO look much better!

Last edited by priceman14; 05-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs down Forget it wast of time

Forget it waste of time yes it will bring it back to about 85% like new but still a bit cloudy but... BUT in one year you are back to crap again.

The problem is the plastic has decomposed to the point it’s soft and will never come back its impossible.

Save your money and get some new headlights

Believe the hype if you wish every product claims something but is it the real deal??

Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+ 1 aftermarket lenses dont cost that much and make your front look new. plus its a chance to give your truck a new look without the old lady saying anything about it. And polishing will only take out blur, the yellow is caused by age

Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 PM
priceman14
Amateur

I appreciate the feedback.

Of course I know new headlights would be ideal, but my headlights weren't bad enough to justify new buying replacement parts.

Regarding how long it will last, the reason lights turn yellow in the first place is due to UV rays that are allowed to get through flaws (damage) in the outer acrylic layer of the lense.

As long as there's something to protect the lense from UV rays, it should remain clear.

I'm trying out a sealer/protectant from the same company to see whether it will actualy presserve the lense, as advertised.

But, my truck is always parked with the front towards my garage anyway, so it almost never gets exposed to direct sunlight from the front anyway.

Last edited by priceman14; 05-06-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Blue Magic Made a few miles up the road from me.. Good products they make.. I like their carpet cleaner.. it does good where others fail. Wont take out really bad rust color that is really really really bad.. but will get a majority out.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 AM
moe7404
Record Breaker

just so happened a guy came up to me at the QT saying he could fix me headlights for $14, he had a special fluid that he made up. it was very good. i gave him $20. he said that all headlights are not the same. he said that some chevys are harder to do. AND i remembered to get his cell no.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
priceman14
Amateur

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Blue Magic Made a few miles up the road from me.. Good products they make.. I like their carpet cleaner.. it does good where others fail. Wont take out really bad rust color that is really really really bad.. but will get a majority out.
Never looked at any of their other products - but I may look into their carpet cleaner.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
priceman14
Amateur

Forgot to include some details on the Sealer that Blue Magic recomends using with the restorer.

It's just a standard clear liquid in a spray bottle. It doesn't say anything on the back about not getting it on painted metal, or anything like that, but I try to avoid doing so just in case.

Just check back to make sure it spreads evenly over the light, maybe using a clean paper towel or rag to wipe it around if you notice it beading into drops instead of spreading evenly.

I'll let you all know if it does its job well.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Forget it waste of time yes it will bring it back to about 85% like new but still a bit cloudy but... BUT in one year you are back to crap again.

The problem is the plastic has decomposed to the point it’s soft and will never come back its impossible.

Save your money and get some new headlights

Believe the hype if you wish every product claims something but is it the real deal??
Not true at all, did it a year ago on my fiance's car and they're still crystal clear. It's a 1999 and they were really bad before and it cleaned them up like they were brand new. They honestly look no different then the day we did it last summer.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:58 PM
priceman14
Amateur

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Not true at all, did it a year ago on my fiance's car and they're still crystal clear. It's a 1999 and they were really bad before and it cleaned them up like they were brand new. They honestly look no different then the day we did it last summer.
It all comes down to how much a headlight is exposed to the elements. Plastic will not turn yellow simply from age alone, as if it were, say, cheese.

It has to be exposed to something to become opaque - mostly UV rays.

If a headlight it turning yellow, it's b/c the outer acrylic layer, meant to protect the softer plastic, applied at the factory, is no longer doing its job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Blue Magic Headlight Restorer Review