2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Bdickson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help!!

Hey, I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota V6 lately it has been running terrible and I have no idea what is going on!
Symptoms:
-Check engine light is on with misfire codes in the 4th cylinder
-When rolling it idols very rough and misfires like crazy as soon as I give it gas it stops misfiring
-Sometimes dies when i put it in reverse
-Sounds as if it is sucking in air and when i shut my truck off it whistles after the key is turned off and takes a couple seconds before it stops, can feel a vibration in my gas pedal when I hear the noise (this symptom gets much worse when I take it for a longer drive out of town and up hills, will last several days after the road trip and then tends to get a bit better until next road trip)
-Burns fuel like crazy!! Have been spending rediculose amounts on gas!

I just replaced the thermostat because it was overheating and that fixed that problem. Just did new plugs, wires and distributor cap helped a bit at first and than after a week syptoms all came back again. Just got the intake gasket done, seemed to help for the first couple of days and then the symptoms came back again. Got a leak down test done on the 4th cylinder and they said there was an 80% leak down, just wondering what anyone elses opinions are? Do you think it could be my valves? It does not make sense to hear air being sucked in if it is, seems like it should be a vaccum leak somewhere?
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies I appreciate any help!!!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd generation Dakota sub-forum.