2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Flashing Check Engine Light after service

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM
jlampitt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing Check Engine Light after service

I thought I'd post up this information for others who may experience the same heart-sinking feeling I did this morning after finishing up with the simple job of changing the spark plugs and a few other minor maintenance items.

First, and foremost, I did disconnect the battery for about 24 hours and I used a nifty little program called OBDCOM to reset my PCM after installing a few other new emissions sensors (along with new spark plugs).

I've done this sort of thing before, but never noticed the flashing Check Engine light until today. After some frantic Googling and research in my owners manual here's what I found...

(2003 Dakota Owners Manual, pg 105 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp)

"...If the vehicle is ready for emissions testing the light will come on when the ignition is first turned on and remain on, as a bulb check, until the engine is started. If the vehicle is NOT ready for emissions testing, the light will come on when the ignition is first turned on and remain on for 15 seconds, then blink for 5 seconds, and remain on until the vehicle is started."

WHEW!! Thank God!

Hope this helps out someone else.

Quick Reply: Flashing Check Engine Light after service