2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brakes Pedal Pulsing

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 AM
GreenDakotaKid
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Pedal Pulsing

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab SLT 3.9V6 Auto 4x4 92K miles. when i hit the brake pedal it pulses big time and i know that's not normal. when i bought the truck in oct. 2011 i have the entire rear drum brakes redone at the local shop right in front of my house. they replaced the drums, the pads and all the hardware. also they replaced the front brake lines because they were rusted out. my guess is that my front brake rotors are warped and that they need replacing along with the pads. also the last owner of the truck said he had recently redone the front brakes but who knows if he actually did. i when i hit the brakes the pedal pulses and the steering wheel doesn't shake. also i was reading that my master cylinder could as be the problem but i figured with only 92K on the truck that shouldn't go bad. any feedback or advise on the problem would be a great help and please correct me if i am wrong with anything i have just said.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 AM
dakotaguy1994
Rookie

most likely rotors. just take your tire off and see how your rotors look , if there thin or rusty and look bad replace em.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can typically take them to Oriely and they will turn "Cut" them for about $15... they can also tell you if they are too bad to do and if you need to replace. Sometimes it is cheaper going this route than replacing..

FYI...

Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Earlrabbit
Rookie

I had the same problem with mine pulsing so I replaced my fronts with some good Brembo rotors and the problem went away. There are those that say there's no such thing as warped rotors - what you're really feeling is a uneven layer of brake pad build-up on the rotors and that by removing the rotors and hitting them with a fine emery cloth going across the surface or at an angle on both sides you'll be able to remove that extra build-up and solve the problem. I had the same pulsation on one of my other cars and I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried it and the pulsation went away.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:02 PM
GreenDakotaKid
Rookie

thanks guys i kinda figured it was the rotors. i looked at them this weekend and they had about a 1.5'' strip of roughness/rust around the entire rotor.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Kevin Matney

Mine went bad at 10k and was replace by dealer.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

2nd gen dakotas send a ton of brake force to the front. Possibly warped them, I had an old one warp on me on a trip once. 53 bucks at advanced

Quick Reply: Brakes Pedal Pulsing