2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

power steering - problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Wilderness
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering - problem

39,600 miles; 2003 Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 4.7 L V8

if i hear a horrible squealing from the engine compartment when I turn the steering wheel, does that mean the pump has gone out? Also, the cap for the power steering fluid bottle broke shortly after my discovering this problem. I was told I would have to replace the whole power steering pump. Anyone else with this sort of experience?

Also, is it okay to spray engine degreaser all over the engine compartment? I have heard that it is ok, but would like to know for sure. Thanks

Old 08-18-2005, 06:59 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: power steering - problem

Are you low on PS fluid? I'd check the level first. And get a new cap. Make sure the fluid is still red, not brown or black, and top it off.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Joelzy
Professional

I had that problem on my 2.5, never leaked a drop but the pump was bad none the less. Junkyarddog.com PS pump for 40 bucks with shipping. problem went away. Also they say that you have to buy another pump if you lose the cap or go to the dealer and pay out the a$$ for one, but if you go to autozone and look around they have some generic caps that you can make work. I did that on my jeep and they told me none of them would work but one did.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Wilderness
Rookie

it's in the shop. i have a dc warranty so i'll let you all know how it goes.

Quick Reply: power steering - problem