2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

3.9 Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Sylvanessa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ty

TY for the replies guys I will check out the evap in a few moments.
I have the 12 gallon tank so 4oz at 6-ish gallons is kinda much actually.
I do plan on using a better cleaner this coming weekend but for now I had to use what I had in the garage. Money is tight around here right now. Specially since I found both my floor jacks blew seals over the winter. So have to replace 1 of those b4 I can get into anything too much fun. I will definitely check out the piston soak. I have noticed a small loss in power over the last few yrs even with the mods. I had enough tools at one point to sport a small garage but after everything was stolen I am having to rebuild one tool at a time. Specially pressure gauges and etc. Would love to run a compression check but ya know..
Would kill to have my engine hoist back.. darn dirty thieves..

OH and can anyone recommend where to get the timing chain kit? I should have got it at Dodge when I worked there but.... And one last thing. I have 120k miles on this truck (97). Pretty much original owner. Should I be facing this stuff at this mileage? And yes, I drive it like a Ferrari. Have been since 98... but it also sits 10x more than its driven...

Thanx for all the help so far. A few ideas I never would have thought of.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Man that sucks stole your tools those Rats

Man that sucks stole your tools those Rats

Start checking the Craig’s list for used tools not to catch the thief’s but get some cheap tools... that were probably stolen.

Did my piston soak at 115K miles and it worked wonders what I did though was soak rotate the engine a few times by hand pump more MMO in soak 3 hours rotate the engine did this about 5 times to be sure the MMO was sucked down into the rings.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-30-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
priceman14
Amateur

You may have an exhaust leak. My 98 3.9 had an odd ticking sound. My dad thought it was a lifter, but we eventually found the cuase - two small rust holes in the exhaust manifold. Put on a new manifold, and the sound was completely gone.

Now it's back, but on the other side of the engine, this time we think it's the flange between the manifold and the piping that has rusted to the point of failure.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Sylvanessa

Yeah stopped by a local shop where I know the guys very well. We looked it over and they said lifters/exhaust themselves. Said no way to know without tearing into stuff. So thinking this weekend I'll start with a new exhaust manifold gasket and go from there. Craigslist isn't a bad idea. I have a decent amount now. its just a lot of the specialty tools missing. Was back in 2001 when everything got stolen. bastages even got my 18's. The rims in the pics I posted used to be my winter rims.

Last edited by Sylvanessa; 05-31-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.9 Ticking