2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bad Shakes low RPM and idle things

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:27 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bad Shakes low RPM and idle things

Ok.. SO throwing this out there.. want to discuss with you guys; seems Ive been searching for along time now about shaking and idle and things.. thought i fixed it with a rocker arm adjustment and such but seems i just though it did.. just so happen it did not hardly notice.. maybee because i was doing multiple things.

So I've kinda came to the conclusion reading alot of threads and then making my own judgement call maybe alot of the bad idle issues and shake shake off idle.. dead stop or near it.. such as Stop--> take foot off break and truck shake shake shake when you dont press gas.

Seems not to be vacuum but rather something mechanical; being it has a random pattern to it.. but pretty much stays the same.. depending on RPM.. after paying close attention. You can actually hear something coming from what i would say is the bell housing area; but then kinda sounds like side of motor.. ish.. but you know.. it can be deceiving.. sound travels and this makes since. The sound; sound like something hitting.. its not loud.. but it can be clearly heard if your beside a wall or in the garage where the sound can reflect.. seems to me more noticeable with hood open; which is why im thinking the sound is coming form the Dist.

Need to probe it more to be sure.. which i had one i could listen too that was "normal"

Timeing chain and sprockets? IDK.

What cought my eye is the Dist. has play on the shaft.. in one direction.. so my thoughts this play is causing this shake shake.. and even maybee effecting the timing of ignition enough to cause it.. but still not throw a code. Or the mechanical is just the result of it wobbling and hitting the cap

Lets discuss this and throw me any ideas about my theory.

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 07-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 PM
mmguy18
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any issues with starting? Investigated why distributor wobble? What about gear on dis shaft? Definitely going to effect timing and give you a nice shake.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

No starting problems that I know of.. About 2-3 turn overs like a normal v-8. (I'm talking the sound here)

And yeah.. I'm thinking the shaft it self; not sure though our's have a gear but a flat peice that goes and connects is what shows up on parts pics; I have not pulled mine yet... unless i have a new one to replace with.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:54 PM
mmguy18
Veteran

So is the shaft bent? If it is how did it get that way? Sounds like you will not know until you start tearing into it.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:00 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I went through the shaft is fine; Cap/Rotor has only been on a little under a year; center was broke and the center nipple had some play in it.. Took it back to SUper O's and replaced it under warranty.. Cheap *** Borg/SMP parts I swear. Ill replace soon with Mopar.. but it did not effect anything after wards.

The Shaft has a little play up/down but that's about it.. I think what I remember was incorrect; and the play was from the Rotor it self.

ID10T error right there on my part. It was like a year ago anyways.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:01 PM
mmguy18
Veteran

Glad to hear everything came out ok.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Brother wants to go back in and readjust the rockers.. he's thinking Cam lobe wear or something to do with harmonics of the engine because the truck sounds* like it has a slight cam in it.. when it does not.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the mounts to be on the safe side even though they look fine.. and go from there..

Quick Reply: Bad Shakes low RPM and idle things